New Handrail For Viaduct Harbour Area
22 September 2000
NEW HANDRAIL FOR VIADUCT HARBOUR AREA
Residents of the Viaduct Harbour area will be heartened by the decision from Auckland City’s Parks and Recreation Committee to install a new handrail system around the lighter traffic areas of the basin. This will replace the current balustrade system which was installed by the America’s Cup Village Limited prior to the commencement of activities associated with the America’s Cup .
The area in question is the public promenade linking Viaduct Harbour Avenue and Waitemata Plaza. It is well used by the public with some potential for people to fall particularly when large crowds are around. Committee chairman David Hay says, “We want to keep the place looking good and also make sure it’s safe for people to walk around. We intend keeping the quality of the handrail consistent with the one currently in use on the upper promenade.”
“Considerable resources have been spent in developing and maintaining the high standard of design expected at this public amenity and the most practical option aesthetically and structurally is to build a new handrail,” he said. “Our engineers have recommended handrails with two different loading factors to accommodate the variety of crowd conditions the area experiences and the Committee has responded positively by placing public safety as the number one priority,” Councillor Hay says.
Also recommended by the Committee is that future advertising balustrading in the promenade area owned by Auckland City Council, will be restricted to the six months during the 2002/2003 Louis Vuitton and America’s Cup regatta. “Signage will only be able to cover between 80 and 90% of the railing leaving a minimum of 10% clear for viewing. This is good news for the residents and public as we anticipate that it will be staggered at regular intervals around the basin and not all in one spot,” he says.
Councillor Hay was keen to point out that during the changeover and rebuilding phase there will be a period of time where no handrails will exist. “I trust people will be patient while this is going on and keep in their minds how much better looking and safer this valuable jewel in Auckland City’s crown will be when it is finished.”
The Committee also confirmed the acquisition of the America’s Cup Village Limited’s closed circuit television system. Councillor Hay says, “This will be relocated to a permanent position on light poles around the Viaduct Harbour and will continue to monitor the area especially at busy times.”
For further information
Councillor David Hay
Parks and Recreation Committee
w) 6201647 or h)6265008