Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Auckland City Bans Central Area Sandwich Boards


24 October 2000

AUCKLAND CITY BANS CENTRAL AREA SANDWICH BOARDS

Sandwich boards will be banned from Auckland City’s inner city streets and public places from the beginning of next year.

The council’s Planning and Regulatory Committee is prohibiting the advertising sentinels from January 1 and will give retailers a month to get rid of all the boards before enforcing the new bylaw.

During the month’s staged withdrawal, boards that have not been removed will be tagged with a reminder sticker, prior to enforcement from midnight on January 31.

The ban applies to a defined area, which includes the main retail area and public open spaces in the central area.

Committee chair Juliet Yates says retailers will be asked to remove sandwich boards voluntarily from the identified public streets and places as soon as possible.

“The issue of removal of sandwich boards from the central area has been discussed for almost a year and there has been extensive consultation with the businesses affected by the ban,” she said. “It’s the right time to translate the talk into action.”

more
Page Two

City Ambassadors will be asked to assist with the sandwich board removal in a non-confrontational way. A council report says the Ambassadors have been helpful with other inner city council initiatives and the increased summer complement of 16 will provide a valuable resource.

Heart of the City is also assisting with the board ban by consulting all its members, installing street numbering and promoting alternative advertising mediums.

Cr Yates:”Complaints about the proliferation, placement and management of city sandwich boards has led to this new by-law. Discussion has been on-going for many months and I am pleased that the issue is now moving closer to resolution.”

Ends

For further information
Please contact Cr Juliet Yates
Telephone 528 0581 or 025 289 0623


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels