Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Auckland Region Welcomes Crown Offer

March 29, 2001


Auckland Mayoral Forum chair, Chris Fletcher has welcomed an offer from the crown to buy back the Auckland rail network lease following a meeting today with Ministers Michael Cullen and Mark Gosche.

Mrs Fletcher says it is a very positive announcement for the Auckland region. “We have been looking to the government for some time to assist with securing access to the rail corridors. This outcome is one the region has sought for two years and signals a clear willingness to work in partnership on solutions to our transport issues.”

The region has been given assurances that the Government will work towards meeting the existing timeframes with a June deadline to conclude the agreement with Tranz Rail Ltd.

Under the offer proposed to the Mayoral Forum the Government will purchase the lease for the Auckland rail network, and then lease it back to the Auckland region.

Mrs Fletcher says she believed the $112 million agreement for the lease and infrastructure was too high and welcomed the Governments involvement in finalising the negotiations.

“Once the Crown has completed the agreement with Tranz Rail the region can get on with implementing plans for a quality regional passenger service. We were also given the assurance that the region will have sufficient control over the network to deliver the service needed,” said Chris Fletcher.

Meetings will be held next week by the Councils party to agreement with Tranz Rail to allow the Crown to take over negotiations with Tranz Rail to purchase the rail lease and infrastructure.

Mrs Fletcher said she expected more detail on the offer next week and the Mayoral Forum would meet again with government ministers on 20 April.

Ends.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels