Funding Proposed For Indoor Arena
19 April 2001
FUNDING PROPOSED FOR INDOOR ARENA
Whether Auckland City will get an indoor sports and entertainment arena depends on responses to its draft 2001-2002 Annual Plan, being released for comment on Friday (April 20).
The Council proposes contributing $50 million over three years to the arena, which would be built and operated by a private developer. Most of the funding would be by debt, which would be repaid over 10 years. The arena itself would be handed back to the Council after 30 years.
Chairperson of the Council’s City Attractions Committee, Councillor Victoria Carter, says that before proceeding with the arena project, the Council wants to confirm the public’s support for the funding package through consultation on the Draft Annual Plan.
In a separate consultation it will ask Aucklanders if an indoor arena is what they want. Or would they rather have the money spent on a convention centre?
“Another option is to have an indoor arena with some convention facilities or a separate arena and a separate convention centre and, if so, which should happen first?”
She says the need and business case for the arena have been well established by studies since 1996. Also, the proposed Quay Park site, alongside the former Central Railway Station, had been assessed by the Hillary Commission as the best in the region for such a facility.
“An arena would fill a gap that is not met by the region’s outdoor stadiums. It would also help to revitalise and reshape downtown Auckland and the central business district.”
For more information,
Jude Leitch, Auckland City, tel: 373 6140 (firstname.lastname@example.org).