Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Renewed call for Mobil boycott

“Renewed call for Mobil boycott”

June 14, 2001

Auckland Regional Council Chairman Philip Warren is renewing calls for Aucklanders to boycott Mobil.

Mobil is the only one of the four major oil companies holding out against an ARC initiative to introduce lower sulphur diesel to the Auckland market.

Cr Warren says there is overwhelming support for cleaner diesel in Auckland and it is only Mobil’s obstinacy which is preventing it.

“Mobil are holding Aucklanders to ransom. They are swimming against the tide,” he says.

“BP, Caltex and Shell are all supporting the cleaner fuel, which is what the people want, so the answer is simple. Aucklanders need to vote with their feet, stay away from Mobil and support the suppliers that are supporting them.

“I can think of no better way of sending a strong message to Mobil and I urge their customers, be they individuals or businesses, to reconsider where they buy their fuel.”

Cr Warren says the ARC has made every effort to get Mobil on board but is very disappointed with the company’s inflexibility which he says reflects the situation across the Tasman where Mobil Australia is the only major oil company fighting moves to lower the content of diesel.

“That makes me wonder just who is calling the shots at Mobil here? Are the company’s officials in New Zealand scared to make the move in case it damages their case in Australia?
Do they even have the authority to do so?”

The Auckland diesel initiative Mobil is rejecting would reduce the sulphur content by more than half, to 1000 parts per million, and would remove 1000kg per day of fine particles from the Auckland atmosphere.

It could be done almost immediately at a cost of less than one cent per litre using existing refinery technology. The only prerequisite is that all four major oil companies agree because all Auckand’s diesel comes down the same pipeline.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels