Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Nationwide support for cleaner diesel in Auckland

“Nationwide support for cleaner diesel in Auckland”

June 29, 2001

Support from all around New Zealand is pouring in for the ARC’s campaign to bring cleaner diesel to Auckland immediately.

The council is pushing for a reduction of the sulphur content in the region’s diesel supply which requires the agreement of all four major oil companies. Mobil is alone in resisting the move.

Latest to back the initiative are Hawkes Bay Regional Council, Wellington Regional Council, Rodney District Council, Waitakere City Council, the Environmental Defence Society and the Auckland Centre of the NZ Institute of Environmental Health.

They join BP, Caltex, Challenge, Gull Petroleum, Shell, the Motor Industry Association, Stagecoach, Northern Regional Transport Association, Automobile Association, Green Party, National Party, Speaker of the House Jonathan Hunt, numerous labour MPs, Environment Bay of Plenty and Southland District Council.

“That represents all the major oil companies except Mobil and well as political, environmental and business organisations from all over New Zealand,” ARC chairman Philip Warren says.

“Mobil have said in the media that if there is nationwide support for using the refinery’s extra capacity they will rethink their opposition.

“So, come on Mobil. Rethink now!”

Cr Warren says if Mobil isn’t prepared to change its mind then it’s time for central government to intervene.

“What the Government has to decide, is whether it is happy for one third of the country’s population to continue to be exposed to 1000kg per day of potentially carcinogenic particles with deep lung penetration, which could be removed from Auckland’s air immediately.

“This is an unnecessary and unacceptable health risk and if the Government cares about it, then it must act.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels