Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Ban The Burglar Programme Gains Momentum

Media Release
9 July 2001

Ban The Burglar Programme Gains Momentum

Ban the burglar, the initiative launched last year which uses the combined resources of Neighbourhood Support, Victim Support and the police to keep our communities safe, is gaining momentum this month with the launch of Ban the Burglar Kits for schools.

The programme will be launched by the Mayor of Manukau, Sir Barry Curtis who says, “Manukau is one of the most multi cultural cities in New Zealand with 154 different cultures and more non-European then European residents, many of whom speak very little English.

“This can pose a challenge when there is a need to educate people on important issues such as crime prevention. Therefore I am pleased with this very proactive initiative to develop a programme of educating children who in turn can educate their parents”.

The project to be implemented by the police will involve issuing information kits to students containing safety messages, crime prevention tips, advice on what to do if burgled, property identification stickers and police pencils.

Safer Manukau’s outgoing Co-Ordinator, Alexa Crous says, “Safer Manukau is determined to make things increasingly difficult for burglars in our city. Other measures include encouraging identification of property through property marking. Police and Safer Manukau are working with organisations to establish a regional response to identify property when thieves try to sell it.

“Safer Manukau has sponsored various neighbourhood support groups with websites to promote their work in the community, giving vital information for crime prevention. Some of these have been very successful, such as the Bucklands Beach/Pakuranga group who now run theirs in partnership with the Police.

“We hope this latest initiative will achieve a dual purpose, that of providing an important learning experience for our children, who can take home the preventative message to their parents to make their homes and families safer from the unlawful elements in our communities.”

The launch of Ban the burglar Kits for Schools will take place at 7pm on Wednesday 18 July at Manukau Civic Centre, Manukau City Council.

Ends

Media Contact
Gabrielle Hinton
Media Liaison
Corporate Communications
Manukau City Council
Phone: (09) 2628900 x 8650
Fax: (09) 2625759
Email: ghinton@manukau.govt.nz

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels