Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Transport Design Competition Finalists Announced

Auckland Passenger Transport Network: Design Competition Finalists Announced
06 August 2001

The announcement today of five finalists and two commended entries in the Auckland Regional Council’s Branding and Theming competition brings the region one step closer to defining a united identity across bus, ferry, rail services and stations.

The winning submissions from a total of 32 entries are: Sandersdesign, Alt Design Group, Aviso, Matthews & Matthews Architects, Jasmax Consortium. Given the high calibre of entries, the judges have also issued two commended awards to: City Design and PT Design.

Launched by the Auckland Regional Council in conjunction with all of the local councils of the region, the competition is an integral part of the council’s ongoing plans to improve the quality of Auckland’s public transport system.

Head of Unitec’s School of Architecture and convenor of the competition judging panel, Tony van Raat, commented “we could easily have shortlisted more than five schemes had the rules permitted. The competition required entrants to address complex issues of identity, orientation and sense of place as well as more pragmatic concerns such as cost and maintenance. There is no doubt that the issues raised by these demands will test the best design abilities and we’re confident that the best of the talent revealed in the first stage of the competition will certainly rise to this challenge.”

In evaluating the schemes the judging panel also considered nearly 80 forms of feedback from the general public - submitted at the display stations in the CPO - which demonstrated overall support for the final decision.

“The announcement of the finalists is an important step towards developing a unified brand for the region’s integrated public transport network,” says Auckland Regional Council Transport Committee Chairman Les Paterson. “The involvement of the public throughout the design process is critical in ensuring that the outcome is a reflection of the wider community for today and for the future.”

The five finalists now proceed to stage 2 of the competition in which they are invited to develop their ideas further. A question and answer briefing session between judges and finalists is scheduled for August 16. The eventual roll out of the concepts will be determined in conjunction with the development of the rail corridors and North Shore Busway.

Detailed information about the competition can be found at www.arc.govt.nz/about/transpt/trnspt.htm
All entries can be viewed at the former CPO at the bottom of Queen St in Auckland city.


For further information please call:
Transport Committee Chairman Les Paterson, Ph 366 2000 x 7111
Or Branding and Theming Project Leader, Martin Cahnbley, Ph 373 9835

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels