Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Young voters may lose opportunity to vote


Media Release October 9, 2001


Young voters may lose opportunity to vote in local body elections

Young people who have recently turned 18 and enrolled to vote may lose the opportunity to do so in the local body elections because they have not been sent voting papers.

This was the word today from Wellington mayoral candidate Mary Varnham.

Varnham has urged Wellington city council electoral officer Ross Bly to take urgent action to ensure young voters are made aware that, in order to vote, they need to register a special vote at the council office or another polling place before noon this Saturday (October 13).

Varnham said nobody who enrolled after August 30 had been sent voting papers. ‘The only way for these people to vote is to register a special vote. However many young people do not know this, and are still expecting voting papers to arrive in the mail.’

Bly had told her there had been some publicity, but admitted it may not have been sufficiently well targeted to reach young people. She had asked him to get the message out through radio stations such as Radio Active and 91ZM, which had a large youth audience.

Varnham said she had become aware of the problem at Saturday’s GE-Free rally in Civic Square.

‘I spoke to numerous young people who were keen to vote but were under the mistaken impression they would be receiving voting papers in the mail.’

Wellington parent Steve Jessup backed up Varnham’s comments. Jessup said he was shocked that none of the three young people in his household had received voting papers, or information on how to make a special vote, even though all three had enrolled and had their enrolment officially confirmed. He had also collected the names of other young people at the GE-Free rally who were in the same situation.


Further information:
Mary Varnham Steve Jessup
801-9928 or 025-341-471 971-8067 or 025-762-288

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels