Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Marine Reserve Opponents Big Losers In Election


Wellington South Coast Marine Reserve Coalition

Press Release
For Immediate Use
15 October, 2001

Marine Reserve Opponents Big Losers In Election


Voters in Wellington’s Southern Ward have rejected candidates who opposed a marine reserve on the south coast, and elected two candidates who support it.

“Residents of southern Wellington have sent a loud, clear message to the Minister of Conservation to approve a reserve. The reserve has been a big issue in the area over the last year, and Saturday’s poll shows most residents support those who are in favour of it,” said Marine Reserve Coalition spokesman, Andrew Cutler.

Top polling candidates Celia Wade-Brown and Sue Piper are both supporters of the reserve. The third councillor elected on Saturday, Brian Pepperell is an opponent.

“The most important result is the rejection by voters of two candidates who campaigned vigorously against the reserve. The result shows that opponents of the reserve are in the minority, and despite intensive efforts over the last year can’t muster much support.”

A marine reserve will help revitalise the south coast, bringing more business to the area from divers, families and school parties. Along with the new Marine Education Centre, and the Council’s proposed investment in parks and the foreshore, a marine reserve will be a key factor to restore the coastal environment.

“On Saturday, Southern Ward residents showed they support a marine reserve. We hope the Minister was listening, because the message was loud and clear!”

ENDS

For further information

Andrew Cutler
Mobile: 021 44 99 32

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels