Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Cn Looks To Private Sector For Cup Sponsorship

March 20, 2002

Council Looks To Private Sector For Cup Sponsorship

Auckland City council will look for more sponsorship to help pay for America’s Cup parades.

While today’s meeting of the council’s combined committees decided to reduce the parades budget by $25,000, it was agreed the difference would be found from sponsorship from the private sector.

The council will spend $260,000 which includes $100,000 on the welcome parade and opening ceremony, $115,000 on the victory parade and $45,000 on traffic safety measures.

This year’s parade is planned for September 28 at the start of the challenge series.

The chairperson of Recreation and Events committee, Councillor Scott Milne, says he would like to see the $25,000 savings spent on lifting the city’s profile by “getting our brand out there”.

In 1999 the Louis Vuitton challenge series began with a welcome parade and opening ceremony which was funded equally by the council, Team New Zealand and Louis Vuitton to the tune of $100,000.

There were 1000 participants:12 teams from eight countries and hundreds of street entertainers; about 40,000 people turned out to watch the parade.

Meanwhile, the council has also decided to reduce the amount of money it puts in to free events.

Councillor Milne says the budget will be reduced by $93,000 over two years, but the emphasis will be on value for ratepayers.

“We’ll be concentrating on quality – not quantity – and there will be even better events to come.”

The money saved, he says, will be spent on finding out about the kind of events people want to attend and raising awareness of the council’s involvement in events such as Music in the Parks series.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news