Redevelopment Of Parnell Baths To Go Ahead
April 17, 2002
It’s full steam ahead for a major redevelopment of the Parnell Baths, one of the largest salt-water pools in the Southern Hemisphere and a part of Auckland's social and recreational history for the last 90 years.
Auckland City Council's Recreation and Events Committee today decided to go ahead with a major redevelopment costing more than $4 million.
Committee chairperson, Councillor Scott Milne, says there is extensive public support for the pool and he is thrilled that the committee has decided to go with the option for a major upgrade rather than a temporary fix that could end as a case of "throwing good money down the drain".
"This is an exciting, well-planned redevelopment of one of the city’s treasures. We have to get on with it and do the job properly. We did consider a patch-up job costing $184,000 but it actually makes good financial sense to make this substantial investment right now, even though questions have been raised over the impact of any proposed development of an eastern corridor transport route.
"If we don’t get going with the redevelopment we run the risk of ongoing major problems such as the pipe failure just last month, which meant the pool had to close. This was another clear signal that the entire water-treatment system has aged beyond repair.”
Councillor Milne said that at this point it looked as though options being considered for the eastern corridor could impact on the pool complex but were unlikely to affect the pool itself.
“Further work will be done on developing the contingency plan to show how the pool will interface with an enlarged eastern corridor. It is also likely that the development of a transport facility will take a number of years considering the planning, funding, public consultation and resource consent processes.
“If the development of the baths is undertaken now, then the community would have benefited during this time and the council would have the added advantage of the lower operating costs."