Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Alcohol ban extended to include Viaduct Harbour

MEDIA RELEASE


26 September 2002


Alcohol ban extended to include Viaduct Harbour

The city centre alcohol ban will be extended to cover the Viaduct area before the end of next month, the Auckland City Council announced today.

The city centre alcohol ban, introduced today, covers only the public places within the area roughly bordered by Quay Street, Hobson Street, Karangahape Road, Queen Street, Mayoral Drive, Kitchener Street, Fort Street, Britomart Place and the public streets around the Viaduct. It does not include the Viaduct Harbour.

Councillor Noelene Raffills, chair of the Council’s Law and Order Committee explains, during the public submission process for the city centre alcohol ban, several submissions were received from business operators in the Viaduct requesting the ban be extended to the cover the Viaduct area.”

At the request of business people and residents in the Viaduct, the council has been working with the police and the Viaduct’s private property owners, Ports of Auckland and Viaduct Holdings Limited, to develop a practical solution.

Councillor Raffills says the private property owners in the Viaduct area have, on the council’s advice, agreed to give the police the authority to issue trespass notices to people who are in the possession of, or drinking alcohol on their land.

This means that once signage has been put up, the liquor ban can be applied to the whole Viaduct area as the police are now able to prevent people drinking alcohol in the privately owned as well as the council owned areas within the Viaduct.

“Obviously the pavement seating areas attached to licensed premises and private apartments are excluded from the ban,” she says.

“The police will be exercising their authority to act in relation to trespassers in the same way as they will exercise discretion in reinforcing the inner city liquor ban. The police will not be targeting people carrying a bottle of wine through the Viaduct area to a BYO restaurant.

Auckland has a busy summer coming up and it is imperative that the city centre, including the Viaduct Harbour, remains a safe and enjoyable place for a night out,” Councillor Raffills says.

The Viaduct Accord group, which represents both business and residential interests, is extremely happy with the liquor ban extension, its chair, Geoffrey Atherfold says.

“Alcohol fuelled behavioural problems have been an issue in the past for Viaduct businesses and private property owners. There was concern that the interest created by the America’s Cup would make the problem worse.”

New Plymouth introduced a city centre alcohol ban in April this year. Sergeant Terry Johnson, of the New Plymouth police, says the ban has significantly reduced disorderly behaviour and criminal activity.

Councillor Raffills says, Auckland is looking forward to a similar positive outcome.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels