Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Committee backs next stage of Eastern Corridor


Media release
25 October 2002


Council's transport committee backs next stage of Eastern Corridor planning

The transport committee of Manukau City Council has agreed to recommend supporting the next step in development of the Eastern Corridor, a phase 2 detailed study of the options. The recommendation will now go before the full Council meeting on October 31 for a final decision.

On Wednesday Auckland City's transport committee also supported the project moving into phase 2. The councils are partners in the project.

Manukau Mayor Sir Barry Curtis is delighted. "I have never seen such strong community support for any other major project in my time as mayor. I've been overwhelmed with people urging me to push ahead with it as fast as possible. The community's been crying out to get action on our roading and other transport problems and virtually everyone in the Howick, Pakuranga and East Tamaki areas will benefit from the improvements this project will bring."

Initial proposals for the Corridor were released in August and Manukau City Council has since received feedback from 96 groups or individuals which will be incorporated into the planning for phase 2. Auckland City has received feedback from 557 individuals or organisations. This feedback does not constitute consultation and full public consultation will take place later in the project once more detailed plans are drawn up.

The decision by both councils does not commit them to the strategy recommendations contained in the Eastdor report released in August. However the final design is expected to contain a road as well as public transport options, including bus lanes and a train service.

Manukau City Council's involvement in phase 2 planning has been budgeted at $2.3 million over the next two years. The funding required will be considered during the council's half-year review of budget and expenditure.
Sir Barry says, "The planning in the next phase will be on a very large scale and require much more resources than our previous biggest project, the building of Te Irirangi Drive. That was the largest single piece of infrastructure ever built by a council in New Zealand, and cost $45 million.

"There will definitely be options for public transport as part of the Corridor, and I do not understand how some critics can continually claim that the whole project should be abandoned in favour of public transport. It doesn't make sense because there will be provisions for buses and trains."


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels