Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Tranz Metro Wellington

Tranz Metro Wellington

Tranz Rail announced today that the joint venture party between Wellington Regional Council and Stagecoach has ruled itself out as a purchaser of Tranz Rail’s Wellington Metro operations through failure to conform with the required sales process.

Michael Beard, CEO of Tranz Rail responded “We had asked that the joint venture submit an indicative, non binding bid after reviewing certain information that we would provide to them. That would have allowed the joint venture to proceed to due diligence and then negotiate a final price after confirmation of the information provided. Naturally the joint venture would be entitled to adjust its initial indicative bid in light of the greater knowledge gained by the due diligence process. This process is absolutely standard in commercial trade processes. There is no point, and in fact it could be damaging to Tranz Rail, to allow the joint venture to enter into due diligence with the resulting costs and disruptions to the business, if we have no understanding that the transaction will be completed at a value acceptable to Tranz Rail and its shareholders”.

“We are also very concerned that Wellington Regional Council (or elements of WRC) having disqualified itself from the sales process, is now talking about unilaterally reducing the subsidy or investigating running some 200 buses in competition at a capital cost of $50million and a higher operating subsidy component. Why the WRC would want to threaten the infrastructure asset that is Wellington Metro rail in favour of other less efficient and more costly forms of passenger transport, is beyond us. To do so after disqualifying itself as a purchaser of Wellington Metro also gives us concerns about the commercial maturity of its whole approach to the sale”.

“Wellington Metro is a vital part of Wellington’s commuter network and should be supported by local government in the best interests of the greater Wellington region. We believe recent comments from certain elements of the WRC to be inappropriate and in reality unworkable. It would be more productive for that sector to support Tranz Rail in its efforts to find the best operator for its passenger rail operations, not to actively look for ways to sabotage the operations. Ultimately we believe more cooler, wiser and rational heads will prevail”.

“Tranz Rail is now committed to conducting a competitive tender process to bring the best passenger operator to Wellington Metro operations. Shortly, the company will be asking for expressions of interest as the first step in the competitive sales process”.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels