Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Investigation funding for Hokianga Harbour crossin

Media Release For Immediate Release 20 December 2002

Investigation funding for Hokianga Harbour crossing

Transfund New Zealand has given the go-ahead for the Far North District Council to investigate options for the Hokianga Harbour crossing.

At its December meeting held yesterday, the Transfund Board approved funding of $180,000 towards the $300,000 worth of investigation work so the council can complete its investigations into options for the harbour crossing and begin the resource consent process.

This approval was given at the usual Far North District Council financial assistance rate of 60 percent for construction funding. Far North District Council will pay the remaining 40 percent, or $120,000.

The funding, which is to come from the local roads component of Transfund's National Land Transport Programme, was approved on the understanding there was no implied assurance of approval for construction funding. Far North District Council will have to apply for this funding once the investigation phase is complete.

Transfund has previously approved two projects, one in 1999/2000 and one in 2001/2002, amounting to $260,000 for a strategy study for Hokianga Harbour crossing.

The Far North District Council had originally requested Transfund to fund 100 percent of the investigation work under the regional development fund.

more Chairman David Stubbs said Transfund recognised the Far North District Council considered the crossing vital for the Northland region.

"However, we are unable to fund the investigation work within the regional development fund, which would qualify for 100 percent funding, as the harbour crossing project was not classed as an 'essential priority' project under the Northland Regional Transport Plan.

"Hence, it is included in Transfund's five-year indicative programme for regional development as a reserve project rather than priority," he said. A reserve project will only be considered if money is available, which it is not at present.


Transfund New Zealand is the government agency responsible for allocating funding toward an affordable, integrated, safe, responsive and sustainable land transport system for New Zealand. It funds a range of transport solutions based on funding applications received from Transit New Zealand, territorial authorities and regional councils. See our website www.transfund.govt.nz for more information.

© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Sector Opposes Bill: Local Government Bill Timeframe Extended

The Minister of Local Government Peseta Sam Lotu-Iiga has asked the Select Committee to extend the report back date for the Local Government Act 2002 Amendment Bill (No 2). More>>


Breed Laws Don’t Work: Vets On New National Dog Control Plan

It is pleasing therefore to see Louise Upston Associate Minister for Local Government calling for a comprehensive solution... However, relying on breed specific laws to manage dog aggression will not work. More>>


Not Waiting On Select Committee: Green Party Releases Medically-Assisted Dying Policy

“Adults with a terminal illness should have the right to choose a medically assisted death,” Green Party health spokesperson Kevin Hague said. “The Green Party does not support extending assisted dying to people who aren't terminally ill because we can’t be confident that this won't further marginalise the lives of people with disabilities." More>>


General Election Review: Changes To Electoral Act Introduced

More effective systems in polling places and earlier counting of advanced votes are on their way through proposed changes to our electoral laws, Justice Minister Amy Adams says. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Our Posturing At The UN

In New York, Key basically took an old May 2 Washington Post article written by Barack Obama, recycled it back to the Americans, and still scored headlines here at home… We’ve had a double serving of this kind of comfort food. More>>


Treaty Settlements: Bills Delayed As NZ First Pulls Support

Ngāruahine, Te Atiawa and Taranaki are reeling today as they learnt that the third and final readings of each Iwi’s Historical Treaty Settlement Bills scheduled for this Friday, have been put in jeopardy by the actions of NZ First. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On The Damage De-Regulation Is Doing To Fisheries And Education, Plus Kate Tempest

Our faith in the benign workings of the market – and of the light-handed regulation that goes with it – has had a body count. Back in 1992, the free market friendly Health Safety and Employment Act gutted the labour inspectorate and turned forestry, mining and other workplace sites into death traps, long before the Pike River disaster. More>>

Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news