Britomart above-ground development shortlist
2 March 2003
Auckland City Council received fourteen proposals for the development of the Britomart above-ground precinct by the deadline of 18 December 2002.
The chairperson of the council’s Finance and Corporate Business Committee, Councillor Douglas Armstrong, says all fourteen proposals were then evaluated and ranked by a panel against criteria approved by the council.
The panel used a number of criteria in their
evaluation process including the proponents’ ability to
- the provision of a transport interchange,
- the creation of a low-rise, heritage based precinct in an important part of the central area of the Isthmus where the city meets the sea,
- the creation of an environment, which contains a rich mix of activities, which ensure the precinct retains a vibrancy on a 24-hour basis,
- an upgrade and revitalisation of the area which ensures a people-dominated and safe environment, and
- a desire to reinforce and reinvigorate retailing in the Downtown area.
Councillor Armstrong says four proponents have
been shortlisted by the council to proceed to stage two of
the request for proposals process for the development of the
Britomart above-ground precinct:
- Melview Developments Limited
- Trans Tasman Properties Limited
- Bluewater Holdings Limited
- Phillimore Properties Limited
Councillor Armstrong says the four shortlisted proponents will now provide the council with comprehensive development plans, timetables, financial details and other information by 30 April 2003.
The Finance and Corporate Business Committee will review the results of stage two of the process at its meeting in June 2003 and recommend one or more successful proponents for approval by the council.