Bowling Club has gifts its Covil Park clubrooms
The Te Atatu Women’s Bowling Club has gifted its Covil Park clubrooms to Waitakere City after steadily declining membership forced it to close its doors.
The club is
transferring ownership of all its buildings surrounding the
bowling green and lawns to the Council, which has been
leasing the land to the club since 1959. The club will be
donating its remaining funds to the Te Atatu Peninsula
Bowling Club and various charities, including the local
volunteer fire brigade.
The handover ceremony was attended by Councillor Brenda Brady, Henderson Community Board members Helen Jones, Bill Postlewaight and Barry Shaw and bowling club patrons and members.
Cr Brady thanked the club for its contribution to the local community and accepted the clubrooms on the City’s behalf. Club members then presented a specially engraved key to mark the handover, which will be hung inside the building.
Henderson Community Board has recommended that the clubrooms
be leased to a community group and the surrounding land
redeveloped into park area. Redevelopment work is expected
to start after July