A chemical a Day
A chemical a Day
The chemicals below make up the remainder of the chemicals found in Foray48B being sprayed over Auckland, Northshore and Waitakere City's this week. A summary of all chemical components will follow....
Benzoic acid/sodium benzoate Effects:
· Anaphylactic reactions.
· Asthma, urticaria, rhinitis,
· Respiratory sensitivity in aspirin-induced asthma
· Irritant to skin and eyes – contact urticaria.
· Diarrhoea, muscle weakness, tremors, emaciation, degeneration of the liver.
· Toxicological data and risk assessment assumes ingestion, but studies indicate that there is no safe level for inhalation of this chemical.
· Preservative. Found in food: oils, ice creams, tinned mushrooms, chilli paste, imitation fruit, icings, sports supplementary foods, sauces, dressings, veggie and fruit pulp, preserved cherries.
· Food Code number = 210, 211
Polyacrylic acid (carbopol) Effects:
· Can cause contact dermatitis (particularly when occluded on the skin - e.g. continued wearing of contaminated clothing)
· Irritant to people with pre-existing skin and respiratory problems. Where Found:
· Not in food.
· Irritant to eyes, respiratory system and skin.
· Flatulence, abdominal pain, diarrhoea.
· Sweetener: diabetic products, low cal chutneys, fruit pulps, sweets, icings, noodles, pasta, breads, bakery goods, dried meat, sausage casings, fruit and veggie juices, wines, dairy-based desserts.
· Food Code number = 420.
Potassium sorbate Effects:
· Irritant to eyes, respiratory system and skin
· Hypersensitivity can occur.
· Preservative: ice cream, tinned mushrooms, dried fruit.
· Food Code number = 202.
Hydrochloric acid Acidity regulator. Corrosive. Irritant. Food Code number = 507