Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Eastern Transport Corridor Moves Closer

Eastern Transport Corridor Moves Closer

The Eastern Transport Corridor project has moved forward following all three partners in the project - Auckland City, Manukau City and Transit - giving the green light for further investigation and consultation on 11 possible options and 47 individual alignments within those options.

Information about the options could not be officially released to the public until all three project partners had agreed, and that happened on Thursday when the Manukau City Council Transport Committee considered and approved the options put forward by Opus International Consultants. Auckland City Council and the Transit Board had already met earlier and approved the options for further investigation and consultation.

Auckland City Transport Committee and Eastern Corridor Steering Group chairperson Greg McKeown says the next phase of investigation and consultation is very important.

“Opus International has considered all previous work, consulted with the public, and undergone further technical analysis. The outcome, after eliminating options that are not viable to build, is a range of options that they have advised are technically feasible. We have approved further work and consultation on all of the technically feasible options they have recommended.”

“The consultants will again listen carefully to what people tell them at venues within Auckland and Manukau Cities in October and then present back a recommended preferred route in mid February 2004.

“What is really important is the public engages with Opus in this forthcoming consultation round. They have been consulted many times in the past over the Eastern Corridor – this next phase is the key one that will help determine the preferred route,” says Mr McKeown.

“This next phase is about alignment, form and mode. In simple terms what that means is where it goes, how it is built, and what forms of transport are catered for. The next phase of investigation will definitely involve further detailed analysis of passenger transport components, construction staging options, and the extent of mitigation measures,” he says.

“We are also looking at opportunities beyond moving people and freight to include good urban design along the corridor and particularly around adjacent town centres.”

Some of the options to be considered in this next round of consultation came from people putting ideas to Opus during the first round of public consultation in June.

Manukau City Transport chairperson Ian McGechie says it’s time to end the gridlock on the Southern Motorway and get the rail link more fully utilised. He says he likes the focus on public transport in the Eastern Transport Corridor combined with greater ability to move freight about the city.

This is the first project that is being developed under central government’s Transport Strategy which requires a broad focus incorporating public transport, cycling and walking, and careful attention to environmental and amenity considerations.

“It’s vital everyone who believes they will be impacted by any of the options being put out for consideration gets along to the consultation days and has their say.”

He says while the decisions about where the corridor will eventually go and what transport modes it will offer are complex, people must take the time to look at them and give feedback to the consultation team.

“What’s important now is that we get to a recommended preferred option as quickly as possible so that we can give certainty to those who find their homes or businesses are on or near a route option. “

While being aware of the potential impact of the project on people’s lives, the Auckland City Council and Manukau City Council must have a preferred option before they can move to purchase properties needed for the project. Pending finalisation of the recommended preferred option, an acquisition strategy is being developed that will cater for the impact on affected properties.

© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On A Trade War With China

As things currently stand, the White House has NOT included New Zealand on its list of allies whose steel and aluminium exports to the US will be exempted from US President Donald Trump’s recent hike in tariffs.

Given that the tariffs in question have been imposed under section 232 of the 1962 US Trade Expansion Act (whereby the national security of the US is supposedly at stake) this American failure to treat New Zealand as an ally is historically significant. After all, our troops have fought and died alongside the US in every major global conflict – the two world wars, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan etc – for the past hundred years or more. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Credibility In Politics

Credibility is always such a fickle, unstable element in politics. You know it when you see it, though. More>>

A Step Closer: Regional Fuel Tax For Auckland?

Legislation to allow regions to apply for a regional fuel tax, initially for Auckland, will be introduced to Parliament today, Transport Minister Phil Twyford has announced.More>>


SSC Findings: DHB Exec Misused Travel Funds

A State Services Commission investigation into the expenditure of former Waikato District Health Board chief executive Dr Nigel Murray found that more than half of his claims for travel and accommodation were unjustified.More>>


RNZ Explainer: Why You Should Care About Cambridge Analytica

Facebook's shares have lost billions of dollars in value after something to do with data used by Cambridge Analytica. Confused? Here's what it means, and what could come next. Cambridge Analytica is a London-based consulting firm. It is under pressure over allegations it uses illegally obtained data and social media manipulation to influence elections.More>>


Further $700,000: Teacher Supply Initiative Extended

Acting Minister of Education Tracey Martin has announced a further $700,000 to help more teachers into classrooms, with the extension of the Teacher Education Refresh (TER) Programme... More>>


Dotcom v Obama: High Court Declines to Subpoena Obama

The former President of the United States of America, Barack Obama, is in New Zealand for three days. The plaintiffs have filed an application for an order for his examination before a Judge while he is in New Zealand... More>>


Supporting Disabled People Into Work: Guidelines Launched

The Minister for Disability Issues Carmel Sepuloni and Minister of Employment Willie Jackson welcome the launch of the new Employment Support Practice Guidelines: How to support disabled people to get the job they want... More>>


OIO and Forestry: Regime Amendments Proposed

Hon David Parker Associate Minister of Finance 20 March 2018 Amendments proposed to forestry rights screening regime Investments in sensitive land involving forestry rights will be brought into the scope of the Overseas Investment Act ... More>>





Featured InfoPages