Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Westhaven must stay in public hands


Westhaven must stay in public hands, says North Shore City

North Shore City Council says Westhaven Marina should stay in public hands forever.

At its meeting this week, the council's strategy and finance committee expressed concern that the sale of Westhaven marina proposed by Ports of Auckland Limited (POAL) - the publicly-listed owner of the site - could lead to more intensive residential development, or be sold to overseas interests.

POAL has advertised the site for sale, as it "no longer represents an investment in the core business strategy of the company" and put it out to international tender. At present, Infrastructure Auckland (IA) holds 80 per cent of POAL's shares with the remaining 20 per cent owned by private investors (5700 shareholders).

Committee chairperson Tony Holman says the POAL move flies in the face of the prevailing community view that Westhaven Marina should be held in public ownership as a regional recreational asset for future generations.

"We will be writing to Ports of Auckland as well as IA and its electoral college to let them know in no uncertain terms where we stand on the issue," Councillor Holman says. "Our council was unanimous on this".

"Westhaven Marina was created by the old Auckland Harbour Board for the people of this region. It's a community asset and should remain so," he says.

The issue will also be raised at the next meeting of the Auckland Mayoral Forum of which North Shore City mayor George Wood is the immediate past chairman. Mr Wood is on record as wanting to keep the land in public ownership in perpetuity and he will argue the case again with his mayoral counterparts including Manukau's Sir Barry Curtis who chairs IA's electoral college.

There is a second and much smaller marina, called the Hobson West Marina, which is also up for sale this year. This marina is owned by Downtown Marinas Limited, which is 100 per cent owned by POAL. North Shore City Council will investigate the background to the Hobson West Marina to assess whether it too should remain in public ownership.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Wellington: Predator Free Capital Plan

Wellington City Council (WCC), the Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) and NEXT Foundation, today announced a joint collaboration to make Wellington the first Predator Free capital city in the world. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Judith Collins’ Efforts At Self Correction

Thousands of prisoners currently in prison may be entitled to an earlier release than expected – and compensation – because Corrections has incorrectly calculated their term of imprisonment. Unless of course, the government buries its mistakes by changing the law and retro-actively getting itself off the hook… More>>

ALSO:

More Justice & Corrections

Sector Opposes Bill: Local Government Bill Timeframe Extended

The Minister of Local Government Peseta Sam Lotu-Iiga has asked the Select Committee to extend the report back date for the Local Government Act 2002 Amendment Bill (No 2). More>>

ALSO:

Breed Laws Don’t Work: Vets On New National Dog Control Plan

It is pleasing therefore to see Louise Upston Associate Minister for Local Government calling for a comprehensive solution... However, relying on breed specific laws to manage dog aggression will not work. More>>

ALSO:

Not Waiting On Select Committee: Green Party Releases Medically-Assisted Dying Policy

“Adults with a terminal illness should have the right to choose a medically assisted death,” Green Party health spokesperson Kevin Hague said. “The Green Party does not support extending assisted dying to people who aren't terminally ill because we can’t be confident that this won't further marginalise the lives of people with disabilities." More>>

ALSO:

General Election Review: Changes To Electoral Act Introduced

More effective systems in polling places and earlier counting of advanced votes are on their way through proposed changes to our electoral laws, Justice Minister Amy Adams says. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news