PW Business says name calling not helpful
Positively Wellington Business says name calling not helpful
Robust debate about policies and strategies to enhance economic growth within the cities of the Wellington region is to be encouraged, Ken Douglas, Chair of Positively Wellington Business said today.
"Labelling Hutt City 'a dog' does not further that debate and is particularly galling when some research would have quickly revealed the claim was without foundation," said Ken Douglas.
"All cities within the Wellington region recognise the importance of economic growth to the future prosperity of the region and have combined resources to create a regional economic development agency.
Positively Wellington Business is that agency and it is committed to increasing business activity in the region as there are many good reasons to do business here."
"A recent PWB initiative is the establishment of a creative manufacturing cluster that will bring benefits to the region, and Hutt City and Porirua in particular."
With respect to Hutt City, it has a positive future, brought about by factors such as:
- A stable rating outlook (in real terms, Hutt City's average business rates have fallen as Council expenditure has been contained and business rates differentials have been decreased)
- Good quality, affordable commercial and industrial property
- Good infrastructure
- Policies to encourage business investment, including rates remissions
- A rising population
- A skilled and diverse workforce
- Hutt City being the home to some of the most successful creative and innovative companies in the country
"Media reporting of unsubstantiated claims regarding Hutt Cities economic performance impact's on people's perceptions. That can in turn lead to business forming a negative view that is not backed up by facts" said Ken Douglas.
"We have some great things going in the region, we are committed to delivering economic growth that will benefit everyone in it. Media need to be mindful of the quite significant impact inaccurate reporting can have on business confidence and decision making."