North Shore City supports boy racer blitz
June 9, 2004
North Shore City supports police in boy racer blitz
North Shore City Mayor George Wood has applauded efforts by police to rid the city's streets of boy racers.
"We would like to thank police for their great work in getting these hoons off our streets," he says.
"Our roads are not for illegal racing, and we don't want boy racers from all over Auckland thinking North Shore City is the place to come for this sort of activity."
North Shore Police have issued at least 47 warrants in the past month against illegal racers, and seized at least 28 vehicles, with 23 more to be seized. The blitz comes after tough new penalties were introduced last year allowing police to confiscate vehicles driven by illegal street racers.
"Hopefully those who have lost their vehicles for a month and must pay $500 to get them back will learn a lesson from the experience," Mayor Wood says.
Police have found crowds of up to 200 people gathering at Albany Megacentre and Oteha Valley Rd, and racing at speeds of up to 118km/h in 50km/h zones.
Police have described the illegal race meetings as a recipe for danger, with people as young as 16 behind the wheel at high speeds and spectators lining the street.
Residents and businesses are also badly affected by noise and roads being blocked by street racers.
North Shore City Council's works and environment committee this week passed a resolution formally thanking the police for their work.
"We want these illegal racers to know the police will catch up with them, and they will lose their cars," Mayor Wood says.
"The police have the council's full support in this campaign."