Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


More train services on track

25 January 2005

More train services on track after rail work complete

Extra train services will begin running across Auckland’s rail network next month, following the completion of a $23.2 million project to double-track the western rail line.

The construction scheme, which was started by the Auckland Regional Council in April last year and continued by the Auckland Regional Transport Authority (ARTA), progressively laid a second track between Mt Eden and Morningside. This will allow for more reliable and frequent services along the line.

The ARTA Chief Executive, Alan Thompson, says the western line improvements allow the introduction of more morning and evening peak services to and from West Auckland, while at the same time the timetable across the network is also being improved.

“The investment in rail by the region is starting to pay off. New trains have been coming online providing extra capacity, stations are steadily being upgraded, and passenger numbers are increasing. We can now offer rail passengers improved services, with further enhancements to come as ARTA and our regional partners continue to upgrade the region’s network”, Mr Thompson says.

As part of the timetable re-vamp services to Wiri Station in Manukau are being withdrawn so the southern line timetable can be streamlined.

“We understand the impact on passengers in Wiri, however withdrawing the station from the timetable will allow us to improve timekeeping on the southern line because trains no longer have to slow and stop at the station. It also means Manukau residents will have shorter travel times to and from Auckland city”, Mr Thompson says.

”Wiri station has the lowest patronage on the network, and removing it from the timetable is part of a wider plan to provide better, more frequent services as the rail network is upgraded.”

Trains will no longer stop at Wiri from 14 February, but the station platforms will remain in the event that the station is required again in the future. Alternative travel arrangements are available, and staff will be onsite at the station in the lead-up to the withdrawal to help passengers plan their new travel arrangements.

The western line double-tracking project was planned and managed by the Auckland Regional Council on behalf of the Crown, and then passed to its subsidiary organisation ARTA on 1 December 2004.

ARTA is progressing plans to continue double-tracking the western line.

The new rail timetable will begin on 14 February. New timetables and passenger information will be available from 1 February.

The new stretch of double tracking will be in use from Tuesday 1 February.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

17 Year Sentences In Baby Moko Case: Attorney General On Plea Bargain

“The Crown’s decisions in this case, including the decision to accept the manslaughter pleas, were motivated by the need to secure convictions for this horrendous killing and to avoid the significant risk that either of the defendants could escape such a conviction because of evidential issues.” More>>

ALSO:

No Rail For New Harbour Crossing: National Giving Up On Rail In Auckland

The National Government’s decision to scrap two planned rail lines in Auckland shows it is giving up on a city-wide rail network in Auckland, and on thousands of commuters who sit in traffic jams every single day, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news