Envirowaste Opens Modern Green Transfer Station
For immediate release
27 May 2005
Envirowaste opens modern green transfer station in Manukau
Manukau City Mayor, Sir Barry Curtis officially opened EnviroWaste's new $3.5 million state of the art Wiri Transfer Station at a function held in Auckland this afternoon.
The new transfer station, located on the corner of Wiri Station Road and Langley Roads in Manukau City, will be one of the largest in the region and have the capability to process 150,000 tonnes of refuse every year.
CEO of EnviroWaste, Paul Bishop, is proud of EnviroWaste's commitment to being a leader in their field, and providing quality and innovative waste disposal facilities.
"We are really excited about the capabilities of the Wiri Transfer Station," says Bishop. "We want to keep leading the industry to ensure New Zealand remains clean, green and pure for future generations."
"This is a significant step forward for Envirowaste services. With the closure of Greenmount landfill and the opening of the new Hampton Downs facility the long term future of waste for the Auckland region is secure. This transfer station forms part of the support network for the Hampton Downs landfill and provides an efficient clean, modern service for waste collectors and the public alike.
"This facility will allow us to handle much of the Manukau City waste stream, together with that from surrounding areas. The station and the transport to Hampton Downs is the most modern and efficient in New Zealand.
Decked out in cutting edge technology, the station's computerised data processing equipment will enable efficient billing, data analysis and management reporting. The new transfer station also features recycling drop-off facilities for paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium cans and ferrous and non-ferrous metals, which can be sorted on-site for recycling or reuse.
The Transfer Station will have the facilities for the disposal of household waste, greenwaste and cleanfill. It officially opens to the public on the June 10.
* EnviroWaste is the second largest integrated waste company in New Zealand
* EnviroWaste offers services to industry, to Councils and to the public through collection services, landfills and transfer stations throughout the country
* EnviroWaste was established in July 1995 by combining the waste disposal operations carried out in Auckland by Northern Disposal Systems Limited (NDSL) and the waste collection businesses operated in the South Island by the Waste Services Division of Fulton Hogan Limited (FHL)
* Over 600,000 tonnes of refuse is handled annually via EnviroWaste collection, processing and disposal facilities throughout New Zealand
* All waste will be sorted within a fully enclosed building
* Separate recycling drop-off facilities are provided at the site and we are working with Manukau City to explore opportunities for a more extensive recycling/reuse facility adjacent to the station.
* The following types of waste will be accepted:
- domestic/ household wastes;
- recyclable materials such as paper and cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium cans, ferrous and non-ferrous metals;
- greenwaste; and
* Hazardous waste and odorous loads will not be accepted at the site