Public to have their say on the Akoranga Upgrade
June 24, 2005
Public to have their say on the Akoranga Dr Upgrade
North Shore City Council begins consultation this week for the planned upgrade of Akoranga Dr in Northcote. Akoranga Dr will be a key link to and from the new Esmonde Rd interchange, the Akoranga Busway Station and the Northern Busway. The upgrade aims to improve the road's capacity and utilises bus priority measures which may include:
High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes for buses and cars with
three or more occupants;
- Bus priority traffic signals at intersections;
- Bus-only spaces of road. Stage one of the Akoranga Dr upgrade provides two lanes of traffic in both directions. In the morning peak one, of the two lanes going towards the motorway will operate as a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane. In the evenings, the kerbside lane leading from the motorway will operate as an HOV lane.
The upgrade includes an off-road shared cycle-path which will form part of North Shore City's strategic cycle network. Stage one would coincide with the opening of the Esmonde Rd Interchange (2006) to ensure the road and bus systems operate efficiently.
"This upgrade is crucial to the efficient operation of the future Akoranga Dr Busway Station, the Northern Busway and the Esmonde Rd interchange," says North Shore City's infrastructure and environment committee chairperson, Tony Barker.
"The Akoranga Dr upgrade is part of a much wider strategy to improve public transport throughout North Shore City. This includes new busway stations, upgraded suburban stations and bus priority measures in key areas. "We urge people to give us their feedback, as this will help North Shore City Council make informed decisions about the upgrade," says Councillor Barker.
Further information about the planned upgrade,
as well as an on-line feedback form, is available from
people can call North Shore City's Actionline on 486 8600
and request a brochure be sent out. Feedback must be
received by July 15, 2005. Bus priority measures are also
* Constellation Dr, Mairangi Bay
* Shakespeare Rd, Milford
* Parts of East Coast Rd, Forrest Hill
* Forrest Hill Rd, Forrest Hill
* Parts of Carlisle Rd, Browns Bay
* Oteha Valley Rd, Albany
* Civic Cres, Albany.