Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


The Strand to re-open sooner than expected


The Strand to re-open sooner than expected

Motorists will soon have full access to The Strand, Parnell with the completion of a stormwater project weeks ahead of schedule.

The Strand has been closed to all north-bound traffic with only one lane open south-bound since late April.

The work was part of Auckland City Council’s ongoing programme to reduce stormwater flooding problems in the Stanley and Parnell catchments and was scheduled to finish at the end of August.

Grant Ockleston, manager stormwater projects, said the project had progressed well.

“Both the weather and ground conditions were favourable which meant the project progressed quickly. We had no major delays, so the roads can get back to normal one month faster than anticipated,” he said. He emphasised traffic should observe the current restrictions until a final completion date is confirmed.

Mr Ockleston also thanked the public for their patience.

“The Strand is a major route and having just one lane open in one direction could have created a lot of disruption. We had very few traffic problems so it seems the public planned their journeys well and used alternative routes.

“The businesses on The Strand have also been very patient, so we’d like to thank everyone for their cooperation,” he said.

Flood hazard assessment showed that flooding is a risk in the low-lying areas of The Strand, Ronayne Street and Parnell Rise. The $2.6 million project involved constructing one of the largest stormwater systems in Auckland City by lifting precast concrete sections weighing 14 tonnes each into a large trench.

The drainage upgrade will eventually lead to a new outfall at the port, completing the new stormwater system.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news