Dunedin Building Essay Competition Launched
My Favourite Dunedin Building Essay Competition Launched
Dunedin (19 July 2005) - The Dunedin City Council and co-sponsors* are launching an essay competition to identify some of Dunedin's favourite buildings and some of its best writers.
Ten cash prizes across four categories are being offered as part of a programme to raise awareness of Dunedin's built environment in the Ministry for the Environment's Year of the Built Environment promotion.
The essay competition is open to anyone and will be judged by a panel comprising:
* Catherine Chidgey - University of Otago Burns Fellow
* Robin Charteris - Editor of the Otago Daily Times * Peter Entwisle - Arts expert and commentator
* Fliss Butcher - Dunedin City Councillor.
The competition is titled My Favourite Dunedin Building and contestants are invited to submit up to 300 words discussing:
* where their favourite Dunedin building is located
* its original use
* what it's used for now (if different from original use)
* why it is their favourite building
The competition provides an opportunity for people to write about Dunedin's built environment, but unlike an architectural competition, this one will be judged on writing skill not architectural analysis. This is designed to help those who might not feel qualified to comment on architecture but who do want to write about their favourite building.
Speaking on behalf of the judging panel, Councillor Butcher said it was hoped the competition would get people talking about Dunedin's buildings and engender a wider appreciation of the significant built assets of the city.
* Sponsors: NZ Institute of Architects - Southern Branch, Naylor Love Ltd, Quantity Surveyors Association of NZ, and Ministry for the Environment.
Contact Details and Entry Conditions Follow
Contact- Cr Fliss Butcher 03 477 9972 or email email@example.com
General Conditions of Entry and Competition Rules My Favourite Dunedin Building
1. These Conditions of Entry and Competition Rules apply to the My Favourite Dunedin Building Essay Competition to be held between 14 July and ending on 31 August 2005. The Dunedin City Council will conduct the competition.
2. Entry into the promotion is deemed acceptance of these Conditions of Entry and Competition Rules.
3. How to enter:
* Mail entries to the My Favourite Dunedin Building Essay Competition, c/- Dunedin City Council, Box 5045, Dunedin. * Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org * Deliver Entries to the Customer Services Agency, the Dunedin City Council, 50, the Octagon, Dunedin. * Entrants should include their name, address and a daytime telephone number with their entry. * Entries should note which category is being entered (all entries are eligible for the Open section). * There are four categories: o Primary School - 5 prizes of $100 each o Secondary School - 2 prizes of $250 each o Tertiary Section - 2 prizes of $250 each o Open section - 1 prize of $500 4. The judge's decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. The Organisers disclaim any responsibility for the inability to complete or continue an entry due to equipment malfunction, acts of God or otherwise.
6. By participating, all winners grant the Organisers and the Sponsors exclusive permission to use their names, characters, photographs, voices and likeness in connection with promotion of this and other contests and waive any claims to royalty, right or remuneration for such use.
7. All personal details provided to participate in these promotions will be held by the Organisers for the purpose of this promotion and the Organisers may use entries for future promotional and marketing purposes, unless otherwise advised by entrants.
8. The Organisers reserve the right to refuse awarding any prize to a person who is determined to have violated any rule outlined above, gained unfair advantage in participating in the promotion or obtained a winner status using fraudulent means.
9. The Winners will be announced at an awards function at the Skeggs Gallery in the Municipal Chambers on 16 September 2005. Winners will be notified by mail.