Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Queen Elizabeth Park Draft Management Plan

News release

12 August 2005

Queen Elizabeth Park Draft Management Plan

Submissions have closed for the consultation on the Queen Elizabeth Park draft management plan.

Cllr Chris Laidlaw, chair of the Greater Wellington Regional Council Land Care committee, says the process has sparked a great deal of interest around the whole region, not just the local community.

“It’s great to see people contributing to the review process and I would like to thank everyone who has taken part in the debate by making a submission or attending meetings.”

A total of 420 submissions were received.

Cllr Laidlaw acknowledges that the question of trying to accommodate a motorsport facility in the park is one of the highlights that has come out of the review process.

“The draft plan puts motorsport in the ‘prohibited’ category, along with hunting, camping and other activities, but there is clearly a strong interest in changing motorsport’s status to a ‘restricted’ but permitted activity. When the Regional Council makes its decision on the management plan we will clearly take this matter seriously and carefully weigh up the strength of the various points of view. We aren’t able to please everybody and the decision we take will be based very firmly on what’s best for the park as a whole.”

Of the submissions received, 308 people indicated their support for motorsport at the park, while 87 were opposed.

Cllr Laidlaw says that the decision on the future of motorsport at the park will not be a numbers game, but based on a broad overview of the whole situation.

“All credit to the motorsport fraternity for marshalling signatures and active lobbying, but it has to be pointed out that most of the submissions supporting their point of view are more in the nature of a single issue petition than broad and reasoned submissions.”

Details of the submissions received are still being analysed by Council staff, with the next step in the process being a series of hearings at the end of October, where about fifty submitters will put their views directly to councillors.

The hearings will be publicly notified and a further newsletter summarising the whole consultation process to date will go out in September to everyone who has made a submission in both rounds of the consultation.

Greater Wellington Regional Council has managed the 638-hectare park on behalf of the Crown since the early 1990s, and with an estimated 415,000 visitors a year, it is the most popular of the five Greater Wellington regional parks.

The draft plan reflects the initial public consultation held last year on what should be included in the next five yearly management plan. This original consultation phase attracted 301 submissions.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Veronika Meduna: The Kaikoura Rebuild

A Scoop Foundation Investigation

Friday will be a big day for people north of Kaikōura – and for hundreds of construction workers who are racing to reopen State Highway 1 in time for the holiday season.

By the afternoon, the South Island’s main transport corridor will be open to traffic again, more than a year after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake mangled bridges and tunnels, twisted rail tracks and buried sections of the road under massive landslides. More>>

 

BPS HYEFU WYSIWYG: Labour's Budget Plans, Families Package

“Today we are announcing the full details of the Government’s Families Package. This is paid for by rejecting National’s tax cuts and instead targeting spending at those who need it most. It will lift 88,000 children out of poverty by 2021." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Defence Spending, Alabama, And Dolly Parton

The spending lavished on Defence projects to meet the risks that could maybe, possibly, theoretically face New Zealand in future is breath-taking, given how successive governments have been reluctant to spend even a fraction of those amounts on the nation’s actual social needs. More>>

ALSO:

Members' Bills: End Of Life Choice Bill Passes First Reading

The End of Life Choice Bill in the name of David Seymour has been sent to a select committee for consideration by 76 votes to 44. It is the third time Parliament has voted on the issue in recent decades and the first time such a Bill has made it over the first hurdle. More>>

ALSO:

State Sector: MPI Survives Defrag Of Portfolios

The Ministry for Primary Industries will not be split under the new government, but will instead serve as an overarching body for four portfolio-based entities focused on fisheries, forestry, biosecurity and food safety. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages