Feel great – sign up for a local Pilates class
Media Release 21 September 2005 1 page
Feel great this summer – sign up for a local Pilates class
The City Council is now taking bookings for its Term Four introductory mat pilates courses.
Pilates (pronounced Pi-lah-tees) helps you to feel refreshed and alert. It involves progressive exercises -- deep stretching and controlled resistance movements using the abdominal muscles as the powerhouse of the body.
Regardless of age or fitness level, everyone can enjoy and benefit from this form of exercise. Benefits include improved posture and strengthened lower back, buttocks and stomach muscles. Pilates engages your body and mind, improves flexibility and strengthens the entire body.
A healthy city is one of the City Council’s key goals. By making pilates classes available and affordable, the Council is supporting Sport and Recreation New Zealand guidelines recommending adults do at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day.
Term Four introductory Pilates classes start at the following places and dates:
- Fendalton Community Hall, Monday 10 October, 5.30-6.30pm
- Mt Pleasant Community Centre, Monday 10 October, 7.15-8.15pm
- Riccarton Town Hall, Thursday 13 October, 5.45-6.45pm
- Shirley Community Centre, Thursday 13 October, 5.45-6.45pm
- St Albans Community Resource Centre, Friday 14 October, 12.45-1.45pm
- Templeton Community Centre, Tuesday 11 October, 5.45-6.45pm
Courses run for 10 weeks and cost $50 per course. Registrations are essential.
Introductory courses are also available at QEII Park and at the Pioneer and Sockburn leisure centre.
- To enrol or ask for a full pilates timetable or other information, please call the Christchurch City Council bookings line on 941 8888