Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Investigation into subsidence in Albert Park

MEDIA RELEASE
19 October 2005

Investigation into subsidence in Albert Park

Auckland City has commissioned a geotechnical investigation into subsidence in the Albert Park area, following recent cases of soil collapse at the reserve.

There were two instances of subsidence at the inner city park during September, in which small depressions opened up in different locations.

Council staff acted quickly to fill in these sunken areas with loose material as a temporary safety measure.

In both cases, the subsidence appears to have been caused by the slow settling of soil used many years ago to fill ventilation shafts below the surface of the park. The shafts form part of a complex system that fed air to tunnels beneath Albert Park.

The tunnel system was built in 1942 for protection during threatened air raids in World War II. After the war, the tunnels were filled with unfired bricks and sealed. The ventilation structures above the surface were demolished and buried, and the ventilation shafts reaching the surface were filled.

Auckland City's parks manager, Jacqui Dyer, says further investigation is needed to assess the state of all of the blocked-off ventilation shafts in the park.

She says this is a precautionary measure to ensure there is no further risk of subsidence.

"In both cases the subsidence appears to have occurred directly above these old ventilation shafts. There are a number of these shafts throughout the park and we need to get them checked to ensure that there is no further soil collapse in the park.

"Auckland City has commissioned a specialist engineering report to investigate the matter and to advise on any remediation that may be needed."

Ms Dyer says in the meantime, a temporary vehicle weight restriction has been introduced in Albert Park as a precautionary measure.

Auckland City's heritage manager, George Farrant, says much of Albert Park, including the tunnel system below the reserve, is a significant heritage site.

"The existing heritage values of the park and the tunnel system will need to be protected during the investigation and throughout any remedial works that may be needed.

"Minor subsidence has occurred in the past above the ventilation shafts and the time has come to sort out the issue once and for all," he says.

Mr Farrant says the heritage division has a reasonably detailed set of drawings for the tunnels, which will help with the investigation into subsidence.

The council has also contacted event organisers planning events in Albert Park to inform them that an investigation into subsidence is underway. The impact on events over the summer will be assessed once the geotechnical investigations are completed.

The initial investigation is expected to be completed in the next week. Once that report has been received the full impact on the park, users and events will be known along with the costs of any remedial works required.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels