Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Public art resiting policy in place

AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL

MEDIA RELEASE

6 April 2006

Public art resiting policy in place

Future decisions about resiting or removing Auckland City's public art works will be guided by a new policy and guidelines approved by the Arts, Culture and Recreation Committee.

"This new policy will provide us with a clear direction and a transparent process when it comes to considering resiting or removing public art works in the future," says Councillor Penny Sefuiva, chairperson of the Arts, Culture and Recreation Committee.

The development of the policy was triggered by concerns raised around the proposed removal of art works from Aotea Square and Khartoum Place last year.

"As council wrestled with these decisions last year, it became apparent that we needed a specific policy to address the interests of the artists, the public, council and other major players to ensure we were taking the most informed way forward," says Mrs Sefuiva.

Key external expertise was involved in the development of the policy and feedback was invited from over 120 artists, patrons, public and private art administrators, art dealers, consultants, academics, landscape architects and local and central government arts officers.

Research revealed that elsewhere in New Zealand, and even in Australia and the UK, very few examples of resiting or removal policies existed. In crafting this policy Auckland City officers have looked further abroad to international best practice and propose the most practical solutions for a local environment.

The main objectives of the policy are to:

- create a clear, transparent and rigorous process for decision-making

- demonstrate respect for the moral rights of the artist and the integrity of the public art work and its site

- ensure compliance with any contractual obligations relating to the public art work

- ensure consistent and ongoing good management of Auckland City's public art collection, and

- make a positive contribution to high quality urban design.

The policy covers public art work sited outdoors and owned by Auckland City or on long-term loan to Auckland City, which have been recorded as part of the public art collection.

The policy thoroughly outlines the decision-making process, who needs to be involved and in what way, what options may be considered by the decision-making body and how these should be implemented.

Underlying the policy is the recognition that removal of public art works will only be considered after careful and impartial evaluation and when no other option exists.

"When it comes to public art works, decisions are often charged with emotion and driven by subjective views. It is paramount that we have a policy in place that will guide decision-making," says Councillor Sefuiva. "This policy will forge a greater understanding and clear expectation for all parties involved."

The policy will be referenced in artists' contracts so there is clarity about the process at the point of commission. The policy will be incorporated into Auckland City's Public Art Policy.

Copies of the policy are available on requested from Auckland City by phoning (09) 379 2020.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Veronika Meduna: The Kaikoura Rebuild

A Scoop Foundation Investigation

Friday will be a big day for people north of Kaikōura – and for hundreds of construction workers who are racing to reopen State Highway 1 in time for the holiday season.

By the afternoon, the South Island’s main transport corridor will be open to traffic again, more than a year after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake mangled bridges and tunnels, twisted rail tracks and buried sections of the road under massive landslides. More>>

 

BPS HYEFU WYSIWYG: Labour's Budget Plans, Families Package

“Today we are announcing the full details of the Government’s Families Package. This is paid for by rejecting National’s tax cuts and instead targeting spending at those who need it most. It will lift 88,000 children out of poverty by 2021." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Defence Spending, Alabama, And Dolly Parton

The spending lavished on Defence projects to meet the risks that could maybe, possibly, theoretically face New Zealand in future is breath-taking, given how successive governments have been reluctant to spend even a fraction of those amounts on the nation’s actual social needs. More>>

ALSO:

Members' Bills: End Of Life Choice Bill Passes First Reading

The End of Life Choice Bill in the name of David Seymour has been sent to a select committee for consideration by 76 votes to 44. It is the third time Parliament has voted on the issue in recent decades and the first time such a Bill has made it over the first hurdle. More>>

ALSO:

State Sector: MPI Survives Defrag Of Portfolios

The Ministry for Primary Industries will not be split under the new government, but will instead serve as an overarching body for four portfolio-based entities focused on fisheries, forestry, biosecurity and food safety. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages