Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Tsunami event demands answers - CDEM Canterbury

May 4, 2006

Tsunami event demands answers - CDEM Canterbury Chair

This morning’s non-event tsunami could have caused civil pandemonium had the Tongan earthquake happened two hours later, says Chair of the Canterbury Civil Defence Emergency Management group Cr Sue Wells.

“New Zealand's emergency communications missed the boat badly this morning,” say Cr Wells.

Cr Wells is critical of the time it took for local Civil Defence Emergency Management key staff to be contacted by their head office counterparts. "The Ministry waited an hour until 5.20 am before contacting our local civil defence staff. The first advice they gave us was ruling out the tsunami. The international media had spent that hour telling people about a potential tsunami. We had more warning from CNN than we did from the Ministry of Civil Defence."

“Media were being advised that a tsunami might hit Lyttelton at around 8 am. We wasted an hour, from 4.20 until 5.20 am. Local civil defence staff should have been immediately alerted when the first warnings were sent to Wellington and the National Crisis Management Centre from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre.
This would have given emergency teams around the region a chance to mobilise and be ready to evacuate coastal communities had it been confirmed that a wave was on its way. “

"That hour long information gap could have caused chaos had it happened once people were awake. Local civil defence groups should be advised of potential risks by their Ministry - not by the international media."

Cr Wells has written to the Minister of Civil Defence and Emergency Management

Rick Barker expressing her concern at gaps in the early warning system’s effective communication from Wellington to people in the coastal areas likely to be affected.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news