Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Dominion Road focus on signs continues

AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL
MEDIA RELEASE

17 May 2006

Dominion Road focus on signs continues

Dominion Road business owners still have time to comply with Auckland City’s signs bylaw before council starts to remove illegal signs.

Council officers visited all Dominion Rd business owners late last year to outline the signs bylaw, point out any non-complying signs and request their removal or relocation.

Auckland City urges those who have not yet complied to do so and to contact the council for advice on this if needed, says Auckland City’s service requests manager, Jackie Wilkinson.

“Officers have been in repeated contact with Dominion Rd business owners in past months, with visits, letters and a public workshop being held. We’re pleased that many have responded and amended their signs, resulting in a real improvement in the appearance of the area,” she says.

“Those who have not yet made any changes still have time to do so. Council officers are happy to provide advice to individual owners on how to amend their signs to ensure they follow the bylaw guidelines, so we urge people to call Auckland City if they are unsure how to proceed.”

The initial survey of 385 businesses along Dominion Road found 445 bylaw breaches by 215 businesses. A follow-up survey carried out in February found the number of breaches had reduced to 347 (a decrease of 98) and the number of non-complying businesses to 177 (a decrease of 38).

Following the February survey, bylaw notices were sent to all businesses still not complying, requiring that the signs be altered or amended within 30 days or a dispensation from the bylaw be applied for. Business owners were also invited to a public workshop held on 14 March, which included presentations to explain the signage bylaw and the dispensation process.

In early April, all businesses were reassessed to determine the extent of voluntary compliance. Of the 177 businesses sent bylaw notices:

- 81 had complied by either altering or removing signage

- 17 businesses had applied for a dispensation

- 4 businesses were found to have a previous consent or dispensation for signage

- 75 had not yet complied, although some of these have since applied for dispensations or have agreed to move or remove signs.

Auckland City will now request an estimate from a contractor for the removal of the remaining non-complying signs. Letters will be sent to the owners of the businesses displaying these signs next Friday to inform them of the cost and that they will be required to repay this amount to council. Removal of any remaining non-complying signs will begin three weeks after the letters are sent.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Veronika Meduna: The Kaikoura Rebuild

A Scoop Foundation Investigation

Friday will be a big day for people north of Kaikōura – and for hundreds of construction workers who are racing to reopen State Highway 1 in time for the holiday season.

By the afternoon, the South Island’s main transport corridor will be open to traffic again, more than a year after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake mangled bridges and tunnels, twisted rail tracks and buried sections of the road under massive landslides. More>>

 

BPS HYEFU WYSIWYG: Labour's Budget Plans, Families Package

“Today we are announcing the full details of the Government’s Families Package. This is paid for by rejecting National’s tax cuts and instead targeting spending at those who need it most. It will lift 88,000 children out of poverty by 2021." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Defence Spending, Alabama, And Dolly Parton

The spending lavished on Defence projects to meet the risks that could maybe, possibly, theoretically face New Zealand in future is breath-taking, given how successive governments have been reluctant to spend even a fraction of those amounts on the nation’s actual social needs. More>>

ALSO:

Members' Bills: End Of Life Choice Bill Passes First Reading

The End of Life Choice Bill in the name of David Seymour has been sent to a select committee for consideration by 76 votes to 44. It is the third time Parliament has voted on the issue in recent decades and the first time such a Bill has made it over the first hurdle. More>>

ALSO:

State Sector: MPI Survives Defrag Of Portfolios

The Ministry for Primary Industries will not be split under the new government, but will instead serve as an overarching body for four portfolio-based entities focused on fisheries, forestry, biosecurity and food safety. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages