Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Wellington Takes the Lead in ‘What’s On’ Campaign'

Tuesday 29 August 2006

Wellington Takes the Lead in the ‘What’s On’ Campaign

Wellington has become the first New Zealand city to ever run a television based campaign in Australia.

The commercial went to air on screens in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne at the start of this week. Presented by Petra Bagust, the advert invites Australians to cross the ditch and experience those things the city is most famous for; a vibrant downtown area, a variety of entertainment, amazing food and wine experiences and a strong arts and cultural offering.

The 15 second advert is part of Tourism New Zealand’s new ‘What’s On’ campaign, launched earlier this month, which takes a new approach to marketing the country as a visitor destination. One of its main objectives is to reposition New Zealand regionally in the mind of Australians and inject an energy and vibrancy into the brand.

“We’ve been saying for years that Australia is Wellington’s most important visitor market,” says Positively Wellington Tourism CEO Tim Cossar. “Now we are putting our money where our mouth is, and exploring the opportunities for growth that it offers. This campaign forms our largest ever drive into the market.”

Minister of Tourism Damien O’Connor congratulated Positively Wellington Tourism for being the first region to be showcased on Australian television as part of the ‘What’s On’ campaign. “It’s fantastic to see Wellington being so quick out of the blocks in capitalising on this exciting new campaign.”

Tourism New Zealand CEO George Hickton says promoting New Zealand’s variety of distinctly different regions is what underpins the ‘What’s On’ campaign. “Wellington has seized upon a unique opportunity to tell Australians about what a great place it is to visit. Their campaign will not only help give the capital higher profile in Australia, it will also add to the overall promotion of New Zealand in this market.”

Tim Cossar says, “While Wellington’s profile is certainly growing in Australia, our research shows that Australians still have an outdated view of Wellington. Our challenge is to position Wellington as a perfect short break destination, and we believe our involvement in the ‘What’s On’ campaign will be instrumental to achieving this.”

The past two years has seen an increase in the number of Australians visiting Wellington. Australians now account for 1 in 3 international visitors to the city, with on average 380 more Australians visiting each week compared with 2003.
Tim Cossar says the dynamic style of the new campaign is perfect for Wellington, which constantly hosts major events and exhibitions, all of which add to its reputation of being a vibrant and sophisticated city.

The campaign has received extensive backing from partners, who have contributed a total of $350,000. The partners are Wellington International Airport, Interislander, Air New Zealand, Te Papa and local authorities that form the greater Wellington region. The total value of Wellington’s campaign is $650,000.

The advert runs in Australia until 10 September. It will be supported by online marketing and specific Wellington travel packages.

To view the Wellington advertisement visit: www.WellingtonNZ.com/Australia

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Veronika Meduna: The Kaikoura Rebuild

A Scoop Foundation Investigation

Friday will be a big day for people north of Kaikōura – and for hundreds of construction workers who are racing to reopen State Highway 1 in time for the holiday season.

By the afternoon, the South Island’s main transport corridor will be open to traffic again, more than a year after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake mangled bridges and tunnels, twisted rail tracks and buried sections of the road under massive landslides. More>>

 

BPS HYEFU WYSIWYG: Labour's Budget Plans, Families Package

“Today we are announcing the full details of the Government’s Families Package. This is paid for by rejecting National’s tax cuts and instead targeting spending at those who need it most. It will lift 88,000 children out of poverty by 2021." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Defence Spending, Alabama, And Dolly Parton

The spending lavished on Defence projects to meet the risks that could maybe, possibly, theoretically face New Zealand in future is breath-taking, given how successive governments have been reluctant to spend even a fraction of those amounts on the nation’s actual social needs. More>>

ALSO:

Members' Bills: End Of Life Choice Bill Passes First Reading

The End of Life Choice Bill in the name of David Seymour has been sent to a select committee for consideration by 76 votes to 44. It is the third time Parliament has voted on the issue in recent decades and the first time such a Bill has made it over the first hurdle. More>>

ALSO:

State Sector: MPI Survives Defrag Of Portfolios

The Ministry for Primary Industries will not be split under the new government, but will instead serve as an overarching body for four portfolio-based entities focused on fisheries, forestry, biosecurity and food safety. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages