PRESS STATEMENT 21 September 2006
Wellington City Councillor Helene Ritchie is prepared to act as a focus for an appeal on the Hilton Hotel with conditions.
An appeal is a very onerous undertaking, so, there are two conditions to my willingness to act as a focus for appeal against the ludicrous decision of the
That legal counsel steps forward and contacts me, to assist pro bono; and that the public makes their opposition clear to me over the next ten days
“As a submitter, and the only councillor who did submit I have appeal rights.
At the hearing I said that I had a particular role to represent the thousands of Wellingtonians that I do represent.
It has been very clear to me for a long time that many many Wellingtonians are opposed to such development on the waterfront, but feel powerless to do anything.
The decision is a ludicrous one.
A Hilton Hotel in simple terms, is completely out of place, there.
It is a monstrosity replacing a public park.
A Hilton Hotel is a waste of this prime public
place on Wellington’s waterfront, and
represents nothing of Wellington and the essence of Wellington.
The effects of private advantage for a few go way beyond the site. There will be significant traffic impacts. Instead of a waterfront there are planned roads and urban development there. Children and everyone will be endangered by the traffic. The impact on the foreshore and seabed, views, public enjoyment (which was a key issue of the hearing), will be seriously affected.
Thousands who use the area at present for recreation-kayaking, climbing, indoor sport will have to be shifted eventually because the activities are incompatible.
Members of the public and legal advisors should email me, firstname.lastname@example.org with their support, comment, offers of help, offers to help run a petition throughout Wellington.
At the end of next week, I will weigh up that communication and make a decision whether to act as an appellant and a focus for this appeal.
I have yet to formally receive the decision. I will receive that today, and will have 15 working days after today to decide whether to appeal.
I will make that decision on or after October 5.