Fashion director promises cornucopia of culture
25 September 2006
Fashion director promises
cornucopia of culture and couture
Fashion director for this year’s 2006 Villa Maria Cult-Couture Awards Angela Gribben promises a spectacular show of amazing fashion, music and funky dancing.
Drawing inspiration from the vibrant arts that are associated with the diverse cultures that make up Manukau City and all of New Zealand Angela says:
“Cult-Couture gets better every year. This year’s entries are simply amazing and I know the judges have had a tough time selecting the 50 garments to feature on the catwalk.
Judges are fashion designer Julia Fong; fashion editor Ana Macdonald and artist Sophia Tekela-Smith.
Garments have come from all over New Zealand as artists and fashion designers, of all ages and experiences, vie for top prize in the 2006 Villa Maria Cult-Couture Awards.
There is $15,000 in prize money thanks to the generosity of sponsor Villa Maria Estate and the other category sponsors. Manukau City Council’s Art team is coordinating the event.
There are two spectacular shows. A special preview evening will be held on 13 October, followed by the awards night on 14 October. Both events will be held at the Genesis Theatre, TelstraClear Pacific Events Centre. Tickets are available from ticketdirect (www.ticketdirect.co.nz or 0800 4 TICKET).
From the traditional to the outrageous, from natural fibres to fine silks, environmental materials and everything in between, there is something for everyone at Villa Maria Cult-Couture.
Two spectacular evenings of stunning art, expressive culture and fashion
Preview Night: Friday 13 October, 7pm
Show & Awards Night: Saturday 14 October, 7pm
- Back in 2002, Manager of Arts for Manukau City Council Leisa Siteine created Cult-Couture. Her vision was for an event that melded fashion, art and culture to a level of haute-couture.
- First event was held in the old Big Fresh warehouse in Manukau. In 2006, Villa Maria Cult-Couture takes to the stage at the TelstraClear Pacific Events Centre – an extravaganza of fashion, performing arts, music and culture
- For the first time this year, Villa Maria Cult-Couture is being held over 2 nights.
- An iconic event for Manukau City, of local and national appeal
- Follows hot on the heels of the high-profile Air New Zealand Fashion Week
Villa Maria Cult-Couture 2006
- Melding art, culture and high fashion to create a wearable taonga
- The categories are: Recycled Revolution, Formally Yours, Obviously Organic, A Flight of Fantasy, Matrimonial Bliss and On the Streets, plus a special Students Award for secondary schools students.
- Angela Gribben is available for interviews. Angela is an Auckland-based professional model, actor, choreographer and writer
This year’s awards are sponsored by Villa Maria Estate, Auckland International Airport Limited, Meredith Connell, Works Infrastructure, MCC Waste Management, GHD and Niu FM. Official Hair and Make Up sponsor is Cut Above Academy.