Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Search For Missing Wellington Diver Update

Search For Missing Wellington Diver Update
New Zealand Police National News Release
8:35pm 8 December 2007


A marine and aerial search will continue tomorrow for a diver who has been missing off the Wellington coast since this morning.

Sergeant Jo Holden, Wellington Police Search and Rescue coordinator, said the search has been suspended tonight for the missing 38-year-old woman and will resume again tomorrow morning.

There's been no sign of the woman who failed to surface with her dive buddy off Boom Rock following an early morning dive.

Several boats including the Police launch Lady Elizabeth III, Coastguard vessels from Mana and Kapiti, private vessels, the Kapiti Air Patrol, Westpac and Helipro helicopters have spent the day searching a huge 285 square nautical miles of sea. They were joined this afternoon by police divers but the search was suspended about 8pm tonight.

The search zone has extended from Mana Island down to Karori Rock and across Cook Strait to The Brothers with no sign of the woman.

Police divers joined the search this afternoon.

Sergeant Holden said police divers, Maritime Unit officers, Coastguard vessels and a helicopter will continue the search tomorrow.

The woman, whose name has not yet been released, was in a private party of four. They had left Paremata and had been diving in ideal water when the woman and her buddy became separated shortly before surfacing.

Fellow divers searched for her without success and put a call on the marine emergency channel 16. Police were alerted by the Rescue Coordination Centre.

A rescue sausage was found during today's search but it is not yet confirmed if it belongs to the woman.

Ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news