Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Long Sentence For Fatal Park Attacker

Long Sentence For Fatal Park Attacker

New Zealand Police National News Release

2 April 2008

A man convicted of murder in December last year was today sentenced in the Auckland High Court to 16 year's minimum non-parole for what the sentencing Judge described as "a mindless act of drunken thuggery" two years ago to the day.

Daniel Houma, who was 19 when he beat 37 year-old Thomas Martin in Glen Innes's Maybury Reserve, was convicted of his murder on December 11 last year. Mr Martin died on April 5, 2006.

Today, Justice Patricia Courtney handed down what is believed to be one of the longest minimum non-parole sentences for anyone convicted of a street-type bashing where no weapons were used.

Houma was also sentenced to six years and nine months imprisonment, to be served concurrently, for assaulting a security guard in the Glen Innes shopping precinct shortly after the fatal attack on Mr Martin.

Officer in charge of the investigation, Detective Senior Sergeant Gerry Whitley, says the sentence sends a loud message to those who become involved in violence - it has long-lasting tragic consequences for everyone it encounters.

Houma's co-offenders, Penisimani Kulitapa (17) and Timokoi Lanivia (18), were convicted on December 11, 2007, of Mr Thomas's manslaughter and the assault on the security guard on the same night. They were sentenced in the Auckland High Court on February 21, 2008.

A further co-accused, a 14 year-old who has name suppression, will go to trial charged with Mr Martin's murder in July.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Another Leader Exiting: Statement From Peter Dunne

I have concluded, based on recent polling, and other soundings I have been taking over the last few weeks, that, the volatility and uncertainty notwithstanding, there is now a mood amongst Ōhāriu voters for a change of MP, which is unlikely to alter...

“I have therefore decided that it is time for me to stand aside, so the people of Ōhāriu can elect a new electorate MP. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Campaign Launch

One of the key motifs of Ardern’s speech was her repeated use of the phrase – “Now, what?” Cleverly, that looks like being Labour’s response to National’s ‘steady as it goes’ warning against not putting the economic ‘gains’ at risk. More>>

ALSO:

Lyndon Hood: Social Welfare, Explained

Speaking as someone who has seen better times and nowadays mostly operates by being really annoying and humiliating to deal with, I have some fellow feeling with the current system, so I’ll take this chance to set a few things straight.. More>>

ALSO:

Deregistered: Independent Board Decision On Family First

The Board considers that Family First has a purpose to promote its own particular views about marriage and the traditional family that cannot be determined to be for the public benefit in a way previously accepted as charitable... More>>

ALSO:

Transport Policies: Nats' New $10.5bn Roads Of National Significance

National is committing to the next generation of Roads of National Significance, National Party Transport Spokesperson Simon Bridges says. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Why Labour Isn’t Responsible For Barnaby Joyce

As a desperate Turnbull government tries to treat the Barnaby Joyce affair as a Pauline Hanson fever dream – blame it on the foreigners! We’re the victims of the dastardly New Zealand Labour Party! – our own government has chosen to further that narrative, and make itself an accomplice. More>>

ALSO:

Rail: Greens Back Tauranga – Hamilton – Auckland Service

The Green Party today announced that it will trial a passenger rail service between Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga starting in 2019, when it is in government. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Voluntary Rental Warrant Of Fitness For Wellington

Wellington City Council is partnering with the University of Otago, Wellington, to launch a voluntary Rental Warrant of Fitness for minimum housing standards in Wellington, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election