Coronation Bridge re-opens
28 May 2008
The historic Coronation Bridge, spanning the Opanuku Stream on the corner of Henderson Valley and Great North Roads, re-opened today after undergoing repair and refurbishment.
The bridge was officially re-opened by Mayor Bob Harvey, who spoke about the historic importance of the bridge to the roading network that helped the west to grow and prosper, as well as the importance of preserving that local history for future generations.
Those future generations were represented at the ceremony by pupils of Henderson Primary School, who sang choir songs on the bridge. Waitakere Community Board member Kubi Witten-Hannah also received special thanks for championing the bridge restoration project.
The original wooden bridge was opened in 1911 to mark King George V’s coronation. Spectators reportedly flocked to the ceremony by horse and cart to see the bridge opened by the then Waitemata County Council chairman, Mr Cochrane.
This was replaced in 1947 by the present bridge, which has recently had its footings strengthened and flood protected. New handrails have also been installed and earthworks and stormwater drainage undertaken.
A listed Category II heritage structure, Coronation Bridge is part of the Henderson Heritage Trail, which includes landmarks from the historic township of Henderson. For over 50 years, it served as a two-lane vehicular bridge but it is now only used for pedestrian access to the car park near the intersection and the western side of Great North Road.