Suspected poisoned sausage warning
Auckland City Council Media release
13 June 2008
Suspected poisoned sausage warning for Craigavon Park
Auckland City Council is warning the public about a sausage, thought to contain poison, found at Craigavon Park in Blockhouse Bay on Monday, 9 June.
The council was notified by a member of the public and an environmental health officer collected the sample of sausage.
This follows a previous incident in early May when a dog became ill after eating a similarly suspected poisoned sausage.
The latest sample consisted of one whole cooked sausage, which had a blue powder substance running along its centre. The powder could not be seen clearly until the sausage was cut open.
The officer referred the incident to both the police and animal control immediately. The Auckland Regional Public Health Service was also advised and has arranged testing of the powder.
Temporary signs have been erected to warn the public and the park is being searched daily. Nothing more has so far been found.
Maintenance contractors will continue to key an eye out for suspicious food items.
The council would like to remind the public to take extra precaution when at the park. The public should not touch any food items seen in the park, but report them immediately to the council so they can be removed to prevent possible harm to the public and dogs.
The police are investigating but any suspicious activity or information concerning the poisoned sausages should be referred to the council.