Heavy rain and Gales expected
New Zealand Police Alert 4:00pm 25 Jul 2008 Waitemata
Location of incident: New Zealand wide
Incident type: Heavy rain and Gales expected
25 JULY 2008
Heavy Rain And Gales Predicted
Police Urge Drivers To Be Cautious:
Police are urging the public to adopt an extra cautious approach to their driving behaviour when deciding to venture onto Auckland's motorways and highways over the weekend. Severe weather is forecast for the Northland and Auckland regions with heavy rain and gale force winds predicted.
Superintendent John Kelly, District Road Policing Manager, Waitemata, says the best strategy for driving in bad weather is to simply not go out.
'Drivers should keep a close eye on deteriorating weather patterns and they should only venture out in their vehicles if it is absolutely necessary.'
'If drivers do get caught in the bad weather then there are a number of handy tips or suggestions they should consider,' Superintendent Kelly said.
* If it's wet enough to put your wipers on, then it makes sense to put your headlights on as well.
* Increase following distances - move further away from vehicle in front.
* Slow down in wet conditions. This helps you brake more gently. It gives you sufficient time to react and retain full control of the vehicle.
* Ensure the car is well prepared for the road. Check the wipers, Check the tyres, Check the seatbelts, and also the vehicle's lights.
* Make sure you have sufficient petrol in the car for your journey particularly if you intend travelling on any of the motorways .