Wynyard Quarter coastal plan to be notified
Wynyard Quarter coastal plan change decisions to be notified with district plan change decisions
24 November 2008
Auckland Regional Council intends to notify its decisions on submissions to the coastal plan change for Wynyard Quarter at the end of this month.
Plan Change 3 to the Regional Plan: Coastal relates to the use of water space and wharves around the Western Viaduct and Wynyard Quarter (also known as Wynyard Point and the Tank Farm)
ARC Chairman Mike Lee said independent commissioners’ recommendations to Council have been adopted and councillors resolved to publicly notify the decisions concurrently with the notification of decisions on Auckland City Council’s district plan changes for Wynyard Quarter.
“The Council agreed to notify concurrently with Auckland City Council to afford submitters all the information they will need in order to make an informed decision on what course of action they should take,” he said.
Plan Change 3 complements the district plan change by providing for:
• Reinstatement of the link between the eastern Viaduct Harbour and Wynyard Quarter (‘Te Wero bridge’)
• A marine events centre on Halsey Street Extension Wharf, Western Viaduct Wharf and the adjacent water space
• Development and use of Wynyard Wharf and North Wharf for port activities and public access
• The facilitation of marine industry activities along the western side of Wynyard Quarter
• Enhanced public access, events and amenity as well as continued use of the area for port activities.
The Wynyard Quarter plan changes provide for the transformation of the area into an urban village with parks, plazas, boulevards, shops, apartments and restaurants that will be a major asset for the Auckland region. The area will also continue to be a home for fishing and marine industries.
Auckland City Council will meet on Thursday 27 November to consider recommendations relating to the proposed changes to the district plan for the adjacent land. Notification is expected to occur thereafter.