Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Fines a wake up call for building industry


Media Release


December 12, 2008

Fines a wake up call for building industry

The parties found guilty of undertaking unauthorised building works at a Te Atatu subdivision have been fined more than $80,000.

It is a case that Waitakere City Council says should be a wake up call for all property developers and building professionals.

In April the council took legal action against those involved in the Riverglade Parkways development at 191 McLeod Rd, where it was discovered that 14 concrete foundations and the framing for nine houses had been constructed without building consent.

Project manager Mark Ma, developers HQH Limited, flooring contractors Jamieson Foundations Ltd and Conqra Contracting (2005) Limited and design and supervising engineers Wilton Joubert Limited and its directors all faced multiple charges for breaches of the Building Act in relation to the work.

The last of the parties to be sentenced, Wilton Joubert Limited and its directors, appeared in the North Shore District Court this week. They had been found guilty of undertaking building works without consent on the McLeod Rd site; namely the inspection of slab foundations on the site and the verification that these were constructed in accordance with its designs, and a building consent, where no building consent had been granted or issued.

The company and its directors were found guilty, and were this week discharged without conviction on 14 charges each and ordered to pay $20,000 in costs.

“We are very pleased with the result and the penalties imposed because it sends a very strong message to the whole building industry that any breaches of the Act will not be tolerated by this council or by the Courts,” says Vanessa Neeson, chairperson of Waitakere City Council’s Planning and Regulatory Committee.

"It gives us no joy to have to prosecute these kinds of cases. It is disappointing that it is people in the industry, who should already know the rules before they begin, that have carried out this work.”

She says that the courts took into consideration the seriousness of the case by imposing very high starting points for fines against some of the defendants.

The starting point fine for Mr Ma of $25,000 and the $50,000 starting point fine against the developers were the highest ever imposed by the Court in relation to Building Act offences.

While pleased with the outcome, the council says it was a time-consuming case to prosecute with so many parties involved and each of those defendants being sentenced by a different judge.

Summary of charges and sentences:

Mark Ma
Pleaded guilty to 14 charges of undertaking building works without consent. Convicted and fined $17, 0000 plus costs. Charges laid under s40(1) of the Building Act 2004.

HQH Limited
Pleaded guilty to14 charges of undertaking building works without consent. Convicted and fined $34,000 plus costs.

Jamieson Foundations Limited
Plead guilty to 11 charges for the unauthorised works in relation to construction of 11 of the 14 foundation slabs for which no consent had been granted. Granted discharge without conviction with the council awarded costs of $7000.

Conqra Contracting (2005) Limited
Initially pleaded not guilty to three charges laid under the Act but later changed its plea. Discharged without conviction with counsels’ for the parties agreeing on costs of $3000.


Wilton Joubert Limited
The company and its directors were each charged with 14 charges under the Act for the unauthorised works, namely the inspection of slab foundations post-construction, but pre-concrete pour, and verifying that these were in accordance with its designs, and a building consent, where a building consent had not been granted or issued.
The defendants pleaded not guilty, were found guilty but discharged without conviction and ordered to pay the council costs of $20,000.



© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Back Again: Government Approves TPP11 Mandate

The Government has approved a negotiating mandate for Trans-Pacific Partnership 11 (TPP11), which will ensure New Zealand businesses remain competitive in overseas markets.

Trade Minister Todd McClay says New Zealand will be pushing for the minimal number of changes possible to the original TPP agreement, something that the remaining TPP11 countries have agreed on. More>>

ALSO:

.

 
 

Gordon Campbell: On Why Labour Isn’t Responsible For Barnaby Joyce

As a desperate Turnbull government tries to treat the Barnaby Joyce affair as a Pauline Hanson fever dream – blame it on the foreigners! We’re the victims of the dastardly New Zealand Labour Party! – our own government has chosen to further that narrative, and make itself an accomplice. More>>

ALSO:

Rail: Greens Back Tauranga – Hamilton – Auckland Service

The Green Party today announced that it will trial a passenger rail service between Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga starting in 2019, when it is in government. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Voluntary Rental Warrant Of Fitness For Wellington

Wellington City Council is partnering with the University of Otago, Wellington, to launch a voluntary Rental Warrant of Fitness for minimum housing standards in Wellington, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

Treaty: Agreement In Principle Signed With Moriori

“The Crown acknowledges Moriori was left virtually landless from 1870, hindering its cultural, social and economic development. The Crown also acknowledges its contribution to the myths that the people of Moriori were racially inferior and became extinct." More>>

ALSO:

Susan Devoy: Call For Inquiry Into State Abuse Reaches UN

Race Relations Commissioner Dame Susan Devoy is in Geneva and has asked a United Nations committee to urge the New Zealand government to initiate an inquiry into the physical and sexual abuse of children and disabled people held in state institutions. More>>

ALSO:

(Not National): Cross-Party Agreement On Pike River Re-Entry

The commitment was signed this afternoon by the leaders of Labour, United Future, The Maori Party, and the Green Party and, together with the earlier commitment by New Zealand First, means that there is now a Parliamentary majority behind the families’ fight for truth and justice. More>>

ALSO:

Earlier:

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election