Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


RSA Victims Still Waiting 9 Years on

RSA Victims Still Waiting 9 Years on

9 years after one of New Zealand’s most brutal crimes the victims and families of those murdered are still waiting for answers.

It was the 8th December 2001 that William Bell bludgeoned three people to death in the Mt. Wellington RSA and left Susan Couch so badly beaten she was not expected to survive.

Not only did Sue survive, she has taken her battle for accountability to the highest Court in the land, but having won the right to sue the Department of Corrections no date has yet been set for the case to be heard.

The outcome of that Court case is also holding up Tai Hobson’s x-gratia claim for compensation. Tai’s wife was one of the three Bell murdered and his attempt to sue the Dept of Corrections was struck out even though the Department acknowledged it must take a real measure of responsibility and said it, “sincerely regrets the awful consequences which resulted for the victims and their families”.

Garth McVicar, spokesman for the Sensible Sentencing Trust who has helped fund the Court action said it was despicable that the victims of this tragedy had been made to wait so long even though the Department responsible had admitted it was culpable and must take a real measure of responsibility.

Mr. McVicar said numerous compensation claims for criminals had been settled in the years since Bells murderous rampage but victims and the families such as those involved in the RSA tragedy had been hung out to dry.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Education: Schools Funded To Trial Innovative Approaches

Education Minister Hekia Parata has announced the successful applicants for a new $10 million fund to encourage innovative teaching practices. “I’m delighted with the quality of the 39 projects that have won funding in the first round of the Teacher-led Innovation Fund worth a total of about $2.6 million,” says Ms Parata. More>>

ALSO:

Generation Zero: Skypath Granted Resource Consent

Generation Zero is delighted and relieved that the ‘Skypath’ walking and cycling addition to the Harbour Bridge has been granted resource consent. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Two New Auckland Special Housing Areas

Two new greenfield Special Housing Areas (SHAs) that will provide up to 1800 new homes in Auckland have been announced today by Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith and Mayor Len Brown. More>>

ALSO:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news