Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Red Cross Earthquake Commission Announces New Grants

Media Release

Red Cross Canterbury Earthquake Commission Announces New Grants

New Zealand Red Cross Canterbury Earthquake Commission has announced two new types of grants for people affected by the 4 September quake.

Financial support for small business grants are for people who have suffered a significant reduction in household income due to the forced closure of a small business. One-off grants of up to $2,000 will be made to people who meet conditions including having a small business that is no longer viable because of the disaster.

Relocation grants are for people who have to move from their homes while repairs to their houses or land are made, or are already in temporary accommodation because their home is uninhabitable and they are waiting for repairs. Owners or tenants can apply for grants of up to $2,750 by showing they need to stay in alternative accommodation.

Commission Chairman Sir John Hansen said, “Since the earthquake, we have been listening to the needs of Cantabrians affected by the quake. We know there are a lot of people with small businesses who are suffering. We also know that many households will have to relocate during reconstruction, and in most cases the costs will not be fully covered by insurance. The financial support and relocation grants are designed to ease those burdens.”

It is expected the financial support and relocation grants together will use up the remaining donated funds based on figures released by EQC last week.

People who have received emergency, damaged homes or hardship grants and meet the criteria may apply for the new grants. Applications for Hardship Grants closed on 4 December.

Full details of all the grants are available at www.redcross.org.nz or by phoning 0800 754 726

The latest figures show a total of 10,500 grant applications have been received, with a response time of three to four weeks. About $11 million is expected to be paid out in grants already accepted or being processed. Over $21million has been received in donations from the government, business and people across New Zealand.

Applications for these new grants are now open but will not be processed until after 20 January 2011.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news