Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch Earthquake - MOE Update, 22 February 2011

Christchurch Earthquake - Ministry of Education Update, 22 February 2011

Ministry of Education information for parents, schools and ECE centres

The first priority for schools and ECE services is the safety of children, students and staff.

Schools and ECE centres should follow their emergency plans. These should include ensuring the ongoing care and wellbeing of children, students and staff. Parents may come to the school or ECE centre to take children home. Schools and centres should support parents in this action. If children or students are unable to return home with parents, schools and centres should take appropriate action to ensure their on-going care, safety and supervision by staff.

Civil Defence is currently deciding whether to close schools or ECE services. Boards of trustees should close a school if they have any concerns about the safety and welfare of students and staff. In the case of ECE services, this decision is made by the licensee or service provider. Listen to Civil Defence updates by radio. We will update this website immediately if there are any changes or specific instructions from authorities about schools or ECE services closing.

Currently (2.30pm Tuesday 22nd February) it is not known how many schools or ECE services have suffered damage or injury to students, children or staff. Schools and ECE centres should consider closing tomorrow until such time as the situation is clear and safety can be assured.

Boards and ECE service providers will need to consider health and safety issues, the condition of their school and centres, and infrastructure, including whether water is available and safe, and transport and power are available. If boards or services decide to close, they should inform the Ministry of Education as soon as they are able.

The Ministry also asks that school principals, when they are able and only when it is safe to do so, to contact the Ministry with an assessment of their school or centre. In all cases schools should take advice from local authorities about safety, and should only enter buildings when it is safe to do so.

If schools or ECE services require more information than provided above, the Ministry has established a call centre on 0800 225 580 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              0800 225 580      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. The call centre is active now and will stay open until 9.00pm tonight.

The Ministry will keep its website - www.minedu.govt.nz - updated with information and advice for schools and ECE services. We will also broadcast messages on Twitter. Follow @MineducationNZ

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news