Ministry of Justice Media Update - Christchurch Earthquake
Ministry of Justice media update - Christchurch
UPDATE ONE – 5pm
Wednesday 23 February:
• The Ministry’s immediate focus has been on accounting for all our staff and establishing their welfare.
• There has been extensive damage to several Ministry workplaces and those that remain undamaged are likely to be disrupted by access and power issues so there will be no court sittings in Christchurch tomorrow.
• Prisoners were evacuated from the main Court building by Police directly after the earthquake.
• Court fixtures scheduled tomorrow in Timaru, Ashburton and Rangiora are unlikely to go ahead.
• The Ministry is working with our sector partners on contingency plans for essential justice services including current and scheduled fixtures.
• Further media updates will be issued as new information comes to hand.