Christchurch Public Information Update, 12:00pm 25/2/11
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 by canterburyearthquake
A 90m cordon has been placed around the Hotel Grand Chancellor. Surveys show that the hotel has now stabilised, having not moved for two days.
Regular measurements of its movements are being monitored by the Department of Building and Housing.
There is no need to stockpile fuel. The BP distribution terminal is open and fuel is being distributed to service stations that are open around the city.
Christchurch will not run out of fuel. View a list of open petrol stations in Christchurch and surrounding areas (subject to supply).
Supermarkets around the city are stocked and there is enough food.
There is no need to stockpile food as supplies continue to come into the city.
In the first instance, residents are to ring their GP if they need medical attention. Seventy percent of GP surgeries in the city are now open, as are many city pharmacies.
After hours clinics are open for people who need urgent attention.
• Please report any suspicious activity in your neighbourhood and keep an eye on your neighbour’s property.
• If someone approaches your house always check for identification – authorised people will have identification.
Normal fire service emergency coverage is up and running in all suburbs including those worst affected on the eastern side of the city.
Please check that any LPG cylinders are upright and secure before operating.
Any gas-operated heating needs to be checked by a qualified person before being operated.
If your power has been disconnected, make sure you turn off any electrical appliances to avoid safety issues when power is restored.
Make sure your smoke alarms are working. If they are not working or you don’t have one, you can contact your local fire station (not the emergency 111 number) and they may be able to supply you with you.
200 portaloos have been distributed and a further 600 are on their way into the city.
If you have mains water you can flush your toilet. If there is no water supply or there are any signs of blockage or poor drainage don’t flush.
No human waste is to be placed in your organics bin. Please bury this in your garden and ensure effective hygiene for you and your family throughout.
Electricity has been restored to 75% of the city. It will take a number of weeks to fully restore power to the remaining 25%.
One hundred teams have headed out today to door-knock in the most affected areas. Their purpose is to obtain a picture of the health and safety of building occupants and the state of building stock for residential buildings only.
The suburbs to be visited are: Brighton, Dallington, Avonside, Parklands/Queen’s Park, Sumner/Redcliffs, St Martins/Opawa, Lyttelton and Bays, Woolston/Ferrymead, Hoonhay, Richmond/St Albans, Fendalton / Merivale, and Aranui / Bromley.
These teams will carry official identification.
Teams are visiting priority areas, which include shopping centres, malls, medical centres and pharmacies to identify whether they are safe for public access. These areas have been prioritised because they supply basic human needs, such as food, water and medical attention.
If these areas are dangerous they receive a red placard and are cordoned-off.
Twenty teams of structural engineers are heading out into the CBD today to assess structural stability of buildings.
If possible, residents are asked to pile silt on the roadside (not on grass berms) and this will be collected.
The Student Volunteer Army has mobilised 13,000 volunteers to clear silt and help in other ways in suburban areas. They have a website set up for people to contact if they require assistance – www.geoop.com/volunteer-army.php.
The website will automatically pool all requests for help and prioritise jobs.
Water and waste water
Fifty percent of the city now have basic mains water supply.
If you have mains water supply you can flush your toilet. If there are any signs of blockage or overflow stop flushing – this may be an indication of damaged pipes.
Residents are reminded to bring water to the boil once, allow it to settle, and then bring to the boil again. This includes water taken from tankers. If residents are unable to boil water, add one tsp of bleach to ten litres of water and leave for thirty minutes before use.
New Zealand Army has desalination plants processing 5000 litres of water per hour. These are available in Lyttelton and New Brighton (New Brighton will be operational by 0700hours).
Basic functionality has been established at Bromley Waste Water Treatment Plant.
leaving the city
Please let your neighbours, friends and family know if you are leaving your home.
Congestion on city streets is slowing emergency response time and supplies. Please stay off the streets and if you have to travel, keep your journey short.