Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Photos of NZ Defence Force in Christchurch

Eight days on from the earthquake, the New Zealand Defence Force continues to stand by the people of Christchurch.

There are now just over 1700 NZ Defence Force personnel from all services including reserves working in Christchurch, supported by 128 Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) personnel.

The NZ Army and SAF personnel are continuing to provide security on the CBD cordon and patrolling with NZ Police in the eastern and southern suburbs.
Reserve Force personnel are assisting Fulton Hogan with cleaning up of sections and streets in Avonside, and supporting the cordon.

NZ Army Engineers are assisting with strengthening work in Mt Pleasant and Sumner. The water taskings at New Brighton and Lyttelton have ceased, as a civilian contractor has assumed responsibility. The water production units remain at Burnham on standby.

Some 150 Royal New Zealand Air Force aircrew and Air Movements support personnel are committed to air operations supporting Christchurch. Yesterday a RNZAF C-130 Hercules brought building inspectors from Auckland to Christchurch. Planned tasking for the Iroquois helicopter today includes moving engineers and Red Cross personnel to a water reservoir so it can be surveyed.

Two Singapore Armed Forces C-130 Hercules aircraft also continue to support the operation, working alongside the RNZAF and based at Whenuapai

There are 216 regular force Navy and 23 Naval Reservists in the Lyttelton area, with the HMNZS CANTERBURY and HMNZS OTAGO. They are still focused on security patrols in the Lyttelton town centre.

HMNZS CANTERBURY will transit to Wellington this evening to embark a second load of relief vehicles and supplies, and will return to Lyttelton on Friday. She has transported a total of 1613 tonnes of vehicles and equipment, and 349 personnel in or out of Lyttelton so far.



Click for big version



Click for big version



Click for big version


Click for big version


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news